Do you ever start out to make one dish and then end up making something entirely different? I started out to make a lemon chicken casserole with green beans and new potatoes, but then remembered that I had used all the lemons making lemonade. I decided to substitute limes, but then that meant I had to change up the spices. Once I had changed the spices, I decided I needed to switch out the veggies for something that would go better with my new seasonings…and by the time I was done the only thing left from my original recipe was the chicken.
The Cilantro-Lime Chicken Casserole came together quickly, which was nice since I spent a little bit of time changing my mind about what to make. I will make the lemon chicken casserole on a another day, probably after I set out to make orange chicken and realize that I am out of oranges.
Alea’s Cilantro-Lime Chicken Casserole
Yield – 6 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt (how to make seasoned salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice (how to quickly cook rice)
- 1 3/4 cups corn, or 15 3/4 ounce can, drained
- 1 3/4 cups black beans, drained (fastest home cooked beans)
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- juice and zest of one lime (frugal tip for when limes are on sale)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, shredded
- 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth (how to make chicken broth)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Add the oil to a frying pan. Place chicken thighs in pan and sprinkle with seasoned salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Brown chicken on both sides.
- Combine rice, beans, corn, tomato, and onions in a greased roasting pan.
- Combine lime juice, zest, chicken broth, cilantro, honey, and cumin in a small bowl.
- Place chicken on the rice and bean mixture. Drizzle lime mixture over the chicken and rice mixture.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
I served the casserole with a garden salad.