I’m not quite sure what happened to September. It came and went faster than years past.
New Freezer Inventory Plan
I surveyed the freezer over the weekend and decided we needed to do a little restocking, and use up some of the goodies in there!
Here are a few things I plan to make this week, using ingredients I found in the freezer. Yesterday I uncovered several goodies in the freezer and decided to start a new system for managing my freezer inventory.
On the bottom shelf of the door, I put the items or ingredients that need to be used THAT WEEK. Then I only have to dig around and pull out what I need once a week…rather than shuffling through the freezer several times throughout the week. You all are probably already doing something like this, but I have not been. Part of my quest for simplicity and having things organized in a way that works for my schedule, my cooking style and my organizational style.
Homemade Dishwashing Detergent
Also, I’ll be venturing into the land of homemade dishwashing detergent  for the first time in my life! I haven’t purchased dishwashing soap since February of 2010, when I bought 20 boxes for $17.96 …and that just ran out! Over a year’s worth for under $20. Not too bad.
Since there hasn’t been a similar sale recently, I’ve decided to take the plunge and make the detergent myself. I should be able to get a 9 months supply or so for around $20!
Batch Cooking/Mixing Plan
So here’s what else I plan to make at some point this week:
- Chorizo and Egg Breakfast Tacos (shown above, recipe below) – did yesterday!
- Double batch Spaghetti Sauce
- 2 big batches of gluten free pizza crust 
- Double batch Whole Wheat Carrot Cake Pancakes 
- Mix small batch of homemade dishwashing detergent 
Are you doing any batch cooking this week?! Do tell!
Chorizo and Egg Breakfast Tacos
Yield – 8 servings, 2 tacos each
Preparation Time – 20 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 minutes
- 1 lb. chorizo mexican sausage or mild ground Italian sausage
- 10 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Tabasco sauce, optional
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 16 soft taco or fajita size tortillas
- Brown the sausage. Drain if necessary, then add sausage back into skillet.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk with salt and pepper. Pour over the browned sausage. Scramble.
- Once the eggs are cooked, add the salsa, Tabasco sauce and cheese and stir through. Let sit on the burner for a minute, allowing the cheese to melt.
- Spoon into tortillas, let cool slightly, roll and place into freezer baggies. Freeze up to 3 months.
- Thaw in fridge overnight, reheat in the microwave.