- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Alea’s White Chili with Ground Turkey
Posted By Alea On October 25, 2011 @ 5:30 pm In Beans,Casein Free,Chili,Dairy Free,Gluten Free,Recipes,Soup,Turkey | 4 Comments
Cooler evenings call for spicy dinners to warm us up. I like to add rice to my chili to make it extra hearty. And I often include corn in my white chili because the sweetness of the corn provides a nice contrast to the spicy peppers. Adding rice and corn are fairly inexpensive ways to stretch chili a little farther. This recipe makes enough for two dinners for my family. I freeze the leftovers and then have a ready-made meal on a busy night.
I usually use shredded chicken in white chili, but when I scored a package of extra lean ground turkey for .99 cents, I decided that I needed to change things up a bit.
I make a point of checking the meat mark downs and organic produce markdowns EVERY time I visit a grocery store. I have found that the best time to find good deals is after 6:00 p.m. because the manager marks items down right before his shift ends or first thing in the morning. I never know what I am going to find, but if you want to find great sales you have to look for them.
White Chili with Ground Turkey
Yield – 8 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 minutes
- 1 1/4 lb. ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups cooked beans (How to Cook Dry Beans)  or 2 cans beans
- 5 cups chicken broth (How to Make Chicken Broth in a Slow Cooker )
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 chili peppers, deseeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 2 cups cooked rice (How to Bake Brown Rice )
- 1 (15 oz.) can corn, drained
- In a large pot, brown onion and garlic and ground turkey.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 cup of chicken broth and cornstarch with a whisk. Add it along with the rest of the broth to the turkey.
- Stir in all of the other ingredients, except for the corn and rice. Cook over a medium-high flame and bring to a boil.
- Cover; reduce flame to low heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add corn and rice and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/chili-with-ground-turkey/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
 (How to Cook Dry Beans): http://www.5dollardinners.com/how-to-cook-dried-beans/
 How to Make Chicken Broth in a Slow Cooker: http://www.5dollardinners.com/how-to-cook-a-whole-chicken-in-the-slow-cooker/
 How to Bake Brown Rice: http://www.5dollardinners.com/how-to-bake-brown-rice-in-the-oven/
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.