- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Chili with Cornbread Waffles
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On September 23, 2013 @ 5:00 pm In Beans,Beef,Bread,Chili,Freezer Friendly,Gluten Free,Recipes,Slow Cooker,Soup | 1 Comment
Y’all are just going to have to trust me on this. A little kick and spice in the chili, plus a little sweet from the waffles…a totally party on the plate and on your palate. Also, I thought that I had some shredded cheese in the freezer to add on top of these waffles, but I must have used it all up without realizing their wasn’t another bag in the freezer. Doh. I just added some sliced cheese between the chili and waffles and it was perfectly delicious. Next time I make these, I’ll certainly be topping with sharp cheddar shredded cheese.
Also, I’m so glad that I made 2 batches of these waffles. I made a batch with regular flour, as well as a batch with gluten free flour for my gluten-free/gluten-limited little dude. We had plenty leftover with requests to put them into lunchboxes. Win-win.
(Note: I substituted 1:1 flour with this gluten free all purpose baking mix .)
Hope y’all enjoy these!
Chili with Cornbread Waffles
Adapted from Yammie’s Noshery 
Yield – 6 waffles, 8 servings of chili
Preparation Time – 20 minutes
Cooking Time – 8 hours in slow cooker for chili, about 30 minutes for the waffles
- 1 bag Hurst Slow Cooker Chili Beans and seasoning
- 1 lb cooked ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup oil
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk plus 2 Tbsp
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- Big pinch salt
- Add all the chili ingredients to 5 qt or larger slow cooker, along with 7 cups of water. Stir together. Set the slow cooker on low and cook for 8 hours.
- Before dinner, prepare the cornbread waffles by whisking all the waffle ingredients in a mixing bowl. Batter should be thick, but still flow easily off the whisk. Cook the waffles according to manufacturer directions. Makes 6 waffles.
- Plate the waffles and then top with chili and cheese and any other favorite toppings ~ sour cream, sliced green onions.
- Serve Chili with Cornbread Waffles.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/chili-with-cornbread-waffles/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
 gluten free all purpose baking mix: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ED7M3Q?tag=5din-20
 Yammie’s Noshery: http://www.yammiesnoshery.com/2012/10/chili-cheese-cornbread-waffles.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.