- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Chicken Zucchini Stew on Rice
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On January 8, 2010 @ 6:25 pm In chicken,Dairy Free,Gluten Free,Recipes,rice,Soup | 10 Comments
Tonight’s dinner is straight out of the freezer!
Toss into pot. Stir occasionally. Eat!
2 tsp olive oil ($.06)
1 large zucchini, chopped ($1)
1 yellow zucchini, chopped ($1)
1 yellow summer squash, chopped ($1)
1 large green onion, chopped ($1)
1 celery stalk, chopped ($.10)
1 carrot, peeled and chopped ($.10)
About 2 cups of homemade chicken stock (free)
2 cups cooked and shredded chicken ($1.50)
2 tsp garlic powder ($.10)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup white rice ($.20) I would have preferred this with brown rice, but didn’t have time to wait 30 more minutes for it to cook!
2 broccoli heads ($.50) Bought when on sale for $1/4…blanched and froze!
1. To a large saucepan, add olive oil. Toss in the partially thawed chopped veggies. (Or fresh if you’re using fresh!) Saute for 6-7 minutes, or until are completely thawed.
Add the chicken stock plus 1-2 cups of water. (Add enough water to cover all the veggies. It’s difficult to quantify the liquids in this recipe because the frozen veggies added quite a bit of liquid to the pot.) Add the shredded chicken. Cook for 20-30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. (I let mine cook down so it was pretty “thick” and more stew-like than soup-like.)
2. In a smaller saucepan, add 2 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add rice, return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Fluff rice with fork before serving.
3. Steam the blanched broccoli for 4-5 minutes in stovetop steamer, or in a microwavable bowl covered with plastic wrap.
4. Serve Chicken Zucchini Stew over Rice with a side of Broccoli.
Cost $6.56 OOPS!
This dinner was a *smidge* over…but there were A.L.O.T. of leftovers…and it was LOVELY to have summer veggies in the DEAD of winter!
P.S. Be sure to check out the cookbook signing schedule …coming up next week…Dayton and Columbus! And updates for Indianapolis and Cincinnati!!!
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/chicken-zucchini-stew-on-rice/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
 shredded chicken: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/08/how-to-cook-a-whole-chicken.html
 chopped up summer veggies: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/07/zucchini-freezer-soup.html
 blanched broccoli: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2008/10/frugal-friday-blanching-vegetables-to-stockpile.html
 cookbook signing schedule: http://www.5dollardinners.com/cookbook/cookbook-signing-schedule
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.