- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Chicken & Black Bean Burritos – $5 Dinner Challenge
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On January 3, 2011 @ 5:00 pm In chicken,Dairy Free,Gluten Free,Pantry Staples,Recipes | 22 Comments
If the tortillas were larger, this would remind me of Freebirds . With a backwards F.
If there were fresh cilantro mixed into the rice, or fresh guacamole to put on top, this would remind me of Chipotle.
Either way, you can’t go wrong with these…super simple. Super cheap. Super yummy!
But before we get to the recipe…
Tacos v. Burritos.
What’s the main difference anyways?!
Based on my research on a recent trip to HEB in San Antonio, the main difference is size. First of all, the tortilla section at HEB in San Antonio is a good 8 times the size of the tortilla section at my Kroger in Ohio. And 8 times as big might be an understatement.
There are burrito size. Soft taco size. And fajita size tortillas.
Also known as large, medium and small.
Because of the sheer size of the burrito tortilla, it is typically folded on the end…another defining aspect of the burrito. Soft tacos and fajitas are generally rolled, but not folded.
So…your thoughts?! How do you define the difference between tacos and burritos?!
Adapted from Chicken Taco Bake 
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken  ($1.50)
- 2 cups cooked black and/or red beans  ($.40)
- 1/2 yellow or white onion, chopped ($.15)
- 1 15 oz. can corn, drained ($.50) Recently on sale for 2/$1
- 1 cup salsa ($.50) Large jar recently on sale for $.99
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder ($.05)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin ($.10)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked ($.40)
- Tortillas, 8 burrito sized ($1.39)
- Optional – 1-2 cups shredded cheese ($.67)
- In a large saucepan, combine the shredded chicken, beans, chopped onions, corn, salsa, garlic powder, ground cumin with some salt and pepper, to taste. Warm through over medium heat for 8-10 minutes.
- Cook the brown rice as directed on the package.
- Place the tortillas on a clean surface and spoon the warm chicken mixture over the top. Sprinkle with a handful of cheese if you desire (it should melt from the warmth of the chicken…if not, microwave). Roll and fold up the burrito.
- For gluten-free version, serve the mixture with corn tortilla chips.
- Serve Chicken Burritos as is, or with a small side salad. Or avocado slices.
Cost $4.99 – 5.66
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/chicken-tacoburritos/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
 Freebirds: http://www.freebirds.com
 Chicken Taco Bake: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2010/01/chicken-taco-bake-over-chips.html
 cooked and shredded chicken: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/08/how-to-cook-a-whole-chicken.html
 cooked black and/or red beans: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/10/how-to-cook-dried-beans.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.