When I got my Pampered Chef Deep Covered Baker, I also got a few recipes to try out…and this is one of them. I made a few slight modifications…mainly, I used tomatoes from the garden and added in some chopped mini-onions from the garden as well.
Chicken Rigatoni al Fresco
Adapted from: Pampered Chef
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 25 minutes
- About 2/3 cup chopped onion (from the garden)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped ($.10)
- 6-8 small tomatoes (from the garden)
- 2 chicken breasts, diced ($2.11)
- 3 cups of rigatoni pasta ($.40) I used less than a box of my $.50 Barilla pasta from the past 2 weeks!
- 2 1/2 cups homemade chicken broth (free!)
- Handful fresh basil and parsley (from the garden)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese to garnish ($.25)
- 1 bag Ruby Red salad mix ($.59) Marked down…more on my salad ordeal…err, deal tomorrow!
- 2 tomatoes (from the garden)
- Italian dressing ($.05) Bought today with sale, store promo and coupon! Details tomorrow!
Note: Original Recipe called for penne pasta and pre-grilled diced chicken pieces.
- Spray deep covered baker with cooking spray. Place chopped onion, garlic and tomatoes into base of cooker. Cover and microwave for 5 minutes.
- Add uncooked diced chicken breast, pasta, chicken broth, parsley, basil, plus salt and pepper. Mix together.
- Cover and microwave for 10 minutes. Stir through. Microwave another 6-8 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and liquid has absorbed. (Note: when opening the lid, open away from you, as the steam rises quickly and is HOT!)
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, optional. Omit if dairy-free!
- Prepare salad.
- Serve Chicken Rigatoni al Fresco with Parmesan Cheese and Side Salad.