I ran across this recipe in Real Simple. I don’t make many of the recipes in the magazine because they often have more expensive ingredients and they would cost more than $5 for the meal…but when I ran across this recipe…I knew it could be done for under $5…
…and I think there is just enough leftover that the Hubs and I don’t have to fight over it for tomorrow’s lunch! Yes, I would fight him for this one…it was that good!
1 tablespoon olive oil ($.10)
1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced ($.15)
4 cups homemade chicken broth (free)
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes ($.59)
1 hot chili pepper, thinly sliced (free from the garden)
2 cups shredded chicken meat ($1.50) Use shredded chicken from $.88/lb whole chicken
1 15-ounce can hominy, rinsed ($.99)
2 tsp lime juice ($.10)
Salt/Pepper, to taste
2 mini French loaves ($.20) Bought 8 mini loaves for $.79 on Manager’s Special…omit if GF.
Butter and jam ($.25)
2 broccoli heads ($.40) Bought a ton when on sale for $.79, blanched and froze!
1. In a large saucepan, add olive oil and sliced onion and cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, or until turns opaque.
2. Add the broth, tomatoes, and chili and bring to a boil. Stir in the chicken, hominy and lime juice and simmer until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Slice and toast French bread. Serve with butter and jam.
4. Reheat broccoli in saucepan with 1/2 cup of water for 5-7 minutes.
5. Serve Chicken Posole with Broccoli and French Bread.
Want healthy and inexpensive meal ideas, the hottest coupons and other money saving tips delivered to your inbox??? Sign up for the FREE $5 Dinners Email Newsletter!