This dinner is inspired by a gumbo that my dad had for lunch when we were in Dallas last month. All I knew about gumbo was that people from LA made it. A lot.
Call me “gumbo ignorant.” I was. But no longer. Did a little research on Wiki…and learned quite a bit. Hop on over there and see how “gumbo savvy” you are!
A simple soup. Err, gumbo! With a whole LOTTA flavor. And LOTS of leftovers.
Paired with some free iceberg lettuce and homemade garlic ranch dressing!
(Only thing missing…andouille sausage…but that woulda sent me WAY over $5! So we made do…still was delicious!)
We all loved it…boys included!
8 cups chicken stock (free if homemade)
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes ($.29)
2 cups cooked shredded chicken ($1.50)
2 12 oz. bags of gumbo frozen vegetables ($2)
2 Tbsp Emeril’s Essence seasonings ($.25)
1 cup rice, brown or white ($.20)
1/2 head of iceberg lettuce, cut into wedges (free)
1/2 cup homemade garlic ranch dressing ($.40)
1. In a large saucepan, add the chicken stock. Toss in the canned tomatoes, the shredded chicken and the bags of gumbo frozen vegetables. Stir together.
2. Season with Emeril’s Essence, or other creole seasoning. Add a few dashes of Tabasco…or more if you want to give a little more heat!
3. Let simmer over medium heat for 30-45 minutes.
4. Cook 1 cup rice according to package instructions.
5. Make homemade garlic ranch dressing. Pour over iceberg wedge.
6. To serve, add about 1/2 – 3/4 cups of cooked rice to a bowl. Top with gumbo.
7. Serve Chicken Gumbo with Iceberg Garlic Ranch Wedges.