This dinner is inspired by a gumbo that my dad had for lunch when we were in Dallas last month. All I knew about gumbo was that people from LA made it. A lot.
Call me “gumbo ignorant.” I was. But no longer. Did a little research on Wiki…and learned quite a bit. Hop on over there and see how “gumbo savvy” you are!
A simple soup. Err, gumbo! With a whole LOTTA flavor. And LOTS of leftovers.
Paired with some free iceberg lettuce and homemade garlic ranch dressing!
(Only thing missing…andouille sausage…but that woulda sent me WAY over $5! So we made do…still was delicious!)
We all loved it…boys included!
Chicken Gumbo with Iceberg Ranch Wedges
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 30-45 minutes
- 8 cups chicken stock (free if homemade)
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes ($.29)
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken ($1.50)
- 2 12 oz. bags of gumbo frozen vegetables ($2)
- 2 Tbsp Emeril’s Essence seasonings ($.25)
- Tabasco ($.20)
- 1 cup rice, brown or white ($.20)
- 1/2 head of iceberg lettuce, cut into wedges (free)
- 1/2 cup homemade garlic ranch dressing ($.40)
- In a large saucepan, add the chicken stock. Toss in the canned tomatoes, the shredded chicken and the bags of gumbo frozen vegetables. Stir together.
- Season with Emeril’s Essence, or other creole seasoning. Add a few dashes of Tabasco…or more if you want to give a little more heat!
- Let simmer over medium heat for 30-45 minutes.
- Cook 1 cup rice according to package instructions.
- Make homemade garlic ranch dressing. Pour over iceberg wedge.
- To serve, add about 1/2 – 3/4 cups of cooked rice to a bowl. Top with gumbo.
- Serve Chicken Gumbo with Iceberg Garlic Ranch Wedges.