- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Alea’s Chicken Fricassee
Posted By Alea On April 10, 2012 @ 5:00 pm In chicken,Gluten Free,Recipes | 7 Comments
Fricassee is one of those words that is just fun to say. Would I cook a dish just because it has a fun name? Yes I would, but it helps if it tastes really good too. A Fricassee is a quick and easy stewed dish and is usually made with poultry. It differs from my soup casseroles  in that it doesn’t contain noodles and the liquid is usually thickened with cream, creating a decadent gravy.
Instead of using oil, I cooked the vegetables in chicken broth. I also did not follow the tradition of thickening the liquids with cream. Instead I created the gravy using yogurt. It is a healthier substitution and it is also more frugal, especially if you make your own yogurt .
Yield – 6 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 – 20 minutes
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1 cup chicken broth (how to make chicken broth )
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 sweet pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon basil
- dash of pepper
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- Add the chicken, chicken broth, vegetables and spices to a large skillet. Cook over a medium-high flame until the liquid begins to boil. Lower the flame and simmer for an additional 10 – 15 minutes or until the carrots are fork tender.
- Stir in the yogurt and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
You can serve the Chicken Fricassee directly onto plates, but I like to serve it over Basmati Rice with Onion and Garlic . The gravy seeps down and adds extra flavor to the rice. I also serve a garden salad with this dish because I love testing the boundaries of how many vegetables I can get my family to eat in a single meal.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/chicken-fricassee/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
 soup casseroles: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2011/09/aleas-minestrone-casserole.html
 make your own yogurt: http://www.thethriftymama.com/what-to-make-when-milk-expire.html
 how to make chicken broth: http://www.5dollardinners.com/how-to-cook-a-whole-chicken-in-the-slow-cooker/
 Basmati Rice with Onion and Garlic: http://premeditatedleftovers.com/basmati-rice-with-onion-and-garlic/
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.