Tonight’s recipe comes from Jennifer! She has a great recipe for a soup that serves 12! For only $8!!!
Jennifer is a homeschooling mother of two who has been married to her husband for 16 years. She loves to write, blog, cook, craft, and spend time with her family. She blogs at For Such A Time As This.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion chopped
3 cloves garlic chopped
1 can green chiles
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 boxes of chicken broth (or you can use your own stock)
2 cans of great northern beans
2 bone in chicken breasts boiled and shredded
2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
salt and pepper to taste
Sour Cream, for garnish
Cilantro for garnish
1. Put oil in the bottom of soup pot.
2. Add onion. Cook until tender.
3. Add garlic and green chile. Cook for 1 minute. Stir so you don’t burn garlic!
4. Add cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Cook for 1 minute. Stir so as not to burn the garlic.
5. Add chicken broth and beans.
6. Add shredded chicken and 1 cup of the monterey jack cheese.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste.
8. Let simmer on the stove for about 30 minutes. Then enjoy!
9. Garnish with fresh cilantro and sour cream. Add a pinchful of the remaining cheese to each bowl.
Cost $8.00 for 12, or just $.75/serving
Side dish suggestions: Fresh homemade baked bread, corn cobs or other favorite vegetable.
Have a Frugal and Healthy Recipe to share?
Post the recipe on your blog and then add the link below. Other guidelines can be found here. To make it easy for other readers to find your recipe, please leave the link that leads directly to your recipe post. Any links that lead to your homepage will be deleted. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to leave your recipe in the comments section!