Ever had one of those moments when you open the fridge and look around…and decide to try a little experiment?
That’s what happened tonight. I had an easy Friday night meal of Waffles on the menu plan, BUT with the freezer crisis and having “breakfast for dinner” on Wednesday night, I opted for a little experiment instead of going with the plan.
A little of this. A little of that.
And the best part. This is a “one dish” dinner! Here ya go…
Chicken and Spaghetti Squash Medley
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 75 minutes
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 2 lbs.) ($1.01) Found some on an unadvertised sale for $.49/lb!!!
- 2 broccoli heads ($.79)
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and chopped ($.30) I used some of the baby carrots that I bought for $.67 this week!
- 1 red pepper (from a friend’s garden, and totally optional)
- 1-2 tsp olive oil ($.05)
- 2 cups shredded chicken , cooked ($1.50)
- 1 tsp Italian seasonings ($.05)
- 1 tsp garlic powder ($.05)
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper, each
*Note: Serve this with some garlic French bread and still be under $5! We had a late afternoon snack, so this was plenty for us tonight…on any other night I’d have served some bread!
**Note #2: Toss in 1 cup of spaghetti sauce to give this a little more flavor!
***Note #3: Use 2 boiled or baked chicken breasts in place of the 2 cups of shredded chicken.
****Note #4: OK, enough with the notes already!!!
- Bake spaghetti squash in 9×13-inch glass baking dish, as you would bake a butternut squash . (Leave oven on…as you will bake this again for a few minutes after mixing it all together!) This takes about an hour, so plan accordingly. You can poke holes in the squash and microwave it for about 15-20 minutes if you are in a time crunch, but I don’t think the “spaghetti” part turns out as well when cooked in the microwave. My opinion!
- In the mean time, chop broccoli heads, carrots and red pepper. Place in microwavable dish with 1/4 cup of water and cover with plastic wrap. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove squash (carefully) from baking dish and rinse out the baking dish.
- Add 1-2 tsp olive oil to the clean baking dish. Add steamed broccoli, carrots, red peppers, and shredded chicken. Toss around in the baking dish.
- Scoop out spaghetti squash seeds and then use a fork to scrape out the “spaghetti” strands from the squash. Add to the baking dish and toss with the other ingredients.
- Season with Italian seasonings, garlic powder, salt and pepper, to taste. Return to oven and bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve Chicken and Spaghetti Squash Medley.
P.S. And I’m sharing 2 brand new recipes over on Everyday Cheapskate  today…Gingered Butternut Squash Soup and Zesty Beef and Rice Casserole…be sure to check ’em out!