- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Chicken and Spaghetti Squash Medley
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On October 16, 2009 @ 4:47 pm In chicken,Dairy Free,Gluten Free,Recipes | 7 Comments
Ever had one of those moments when you open the fridge and look around…and decide to try a little experiment?
That’s what happened tonight. I had an easy Friday night meal of Waffles on the menu plan, BUT with the freezer crisis and having “breakfast for dinner” on Wednesday night, I opted for a little experiment instead of going with the plan.
A little of this. A little of that.
And the best part. This is a “one dish” dinner! Here ya go…
1 medium spaghetti squash (about 2 lbs.) ($1.01) Found some on an unadvertised sale for $.49/lb!!!
2 broccoli heads ($.79)
1 cup carrots, peeled and chopped ($.30) I used some of the baby carrots that I bought for $.67 this week!
1 red pepper (from a friend’s garden, and totally optional)
1-2 tsp olive oil ($.05)
2 cups shredded chicken , cooked ($1.50)
1 tsp Italian seasonings ($.05)
1 tsp garlic powder ($.05)
1/2 tsp salt and pepper, each
*Note: Serve this with some garlic French bread and still be under $5! We had a late afternoon snack, so this was plenty for us tonight…on any other night I’d have served some bread!
**Note #2: Toss in 1 cup of spaghetti sauce to give this a little more flavor!
***Note #3: Use 2 boiled or baked chicken breasts in place of the 2 cups of shredded chicken.
****Note #4: OK, enough with the notes already!!!
1. Bake spaghetti squash in 9×13-inch glass baking dish, as you would bake a butternut squash . (Leave oven on…as you will bake this again for a few minutes after mixing it all together!) This takes about an hour, so plan accordingly. You can poke holes in the squash and microwave it for about 15-20 minutes if you are in a time crunch, but I don’t think the “spaghetti” part turns out as well when cooked in the microwave. My opinion!
2. In the mean time, chop broccoli heads, carrots and red pepper. Place in microwavable dish with 1/4 cup of water and cover with plastic wrap. Cook for 5 minutes.
3. Remove squash (carefully) from baking dish and rinse out the baking dish.
4. Add 1-2 tsp olive oil to the clean baking dish. Add steamed broccoli, carrots, red peppers, and shredded chicken. Toss around in the baking dish.
5. Scoop out spaghetti squash seeds and then use a fork to scrape out the “spaghetti” strands from the squash. Add to the baking dish and toss with the other ingredients.
6. Season with Italian seasonings, garlic powder, salt and pepper, to taste. Return to oven and bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes.
7. Serve Chicken and Spaghetti Squash Medley.
P.S. And I’m sharing 2 brand new recipes over on Everyday Cheapskate  today…Gingered Butternut Squash Soup and Zesty Beef and Rice Casserole…be sure to check ‘em out!
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/chicken-and-spaghetti-squash-medle/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 shredded chicken: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/08/how-to-cook-a-whole-chicken.html
 bake a butternut squash: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/09/how-to-bake-butternut-squash.html
 2 brand new recipes over on Everyday Cheapskate: http://www.debtproofliving.com/DPLResources/EverydayCheapskate/VisitorEverydayCheapskate/tabid/275/smid/663/ArticleID/531951/reftab/38/t/Fabulous%20Five-Dollar%20Dinners/Default.aspx
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.