Growing up, I have vivid memories of my mom putting a casserole dish filled with yellow squash and some water in the microwave to steam. Then when it was done, she would sprinkle some Parmesan on top and set it before us on the table.
It never got too many complaints…at least not from me, and not from my brother and sister, if my memory serves me right.
And I think this memory is so vivid because it’s one of the few that I have of my mom cooking. (If you count steaming vegetables in the microwave cooking. Which I do. In her case.)
It’s a running joke in our family…my mom didn’t cook when we were growing up and we still can’t figure out what happened with me. I cook at least 6 nights a week. Without complaining.
I *big puffy heart* cooking.
What really happened is that the cooking gene skipped a generation and was passed down from my mom’s mom right on to me.
So I’ve taken the concept of my mom’s steamed squash with Parmesan and kicked it up a few notches here with this caramelized yellow squash with Parmesan on top.
Caramelized Yellow Squash with Parmesan
Yield – 4 side dish servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 to 20 minutes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil ($.10)
- 1 tsp sugar ($.01)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 small yellow squash, sliced ($1.50)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese ($.25)
- Add the olive oil, sugar and some salt and pepper to a large skillet and warm the oil.
- Drop the sliced yellow squash into the hot skillet, then turn down the heat to medium. Toss the squash around until they get brown in color, about 5 minutes. Then reduce the heat again to low and let caramelize for another 10-15 minutes, tossing often.
- Slide the caramelized squash onto a serving dish and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top.
- Serve warm.
If you’d like to learn more about Square Foot Gardening, please check out the Square Foot Gardening books by Mel Bartholemew.
Do you have a yellow summer squash recipe to share?! Feel free to link up your blog post below…or leave an update in the comments!!!