Calling All Spinach Recipes…

by Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom on January 13, 2011

Updated: I added a Mr. Linky…so bloggers, feel free to link up your recipes :)

Yeah.

So.

Um.

Well…..

It seems that I have more spinach on hand that I thought!

I went scavanging (is that a word?) for some chicken in the deep freezer this past weekend…and ended up doing a little reorganizing, while I was at it.

(Nevermind the frostbitten fingers.)

I discovered that I had several other boxes of frozen spinach hiding underneath the baskets that sit at the top of the freezer.  And while it’d be easy to serve it up as a quick and simple side dish…it’d be way more fun to do something else.  I recently made some tasty Spinach Meatballs.  And I’ve got an Italian Wedding Soup on the menu for January. (Yes…we are halfway through the month and I haven’t published my meal plan for January. It’s coming. I think.)

But I want to do something else with it…And I want you to help me by sending your favorite spinach recipes!

Feel free to leave them in the comments or email them. I greatly appreciate it!!!

Alicia January 13, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I add spinach to my lasagna recipe. I’m sure there are some on the net that are good. I just do my typical lasagna recipe and add spinach to the meat mixture. I’m sure you could add it as it’s own layer but I need to try to “hide” it as much as possible.

Ann January 15, 2011 at 12:03 pm

This hint came from a real Italian family. I also add spinach to my regular recipe for Lasagna . I thaw the spinach, press out the liquid, chop it up finer if necessary and add it to the ricotta mixture. Makes for little bits of green in the white layer and everyone enjoys the dish – with no complaints.

Karen Hiebert January 13, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I like spinach when its cooked with stuff. My mom said she can make spinach soup, and I just scarf it up!

Christina Tibesar January 13, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Spinach Balls with Asian Dipping Sauce
(Also great with pasta & tomato sauce!)
•2 pkgs frozen spinach (10 oz each)
•2 C seasoned croutons (I like to use garlic/cheese)
•1 C grated Parmesan cheese
•½ C melted butter
•Minced green onions to taste (3-5) (not essential, I’ve added onion powder and it works)
•3 eggs
•Nutmeg to taste or ½ tsp five spice powder

Cook spinach according to package directions, drain and press out moisture. Beat eggs; add crushed croutons (I use my food processor), cheese, onions, nutmeg and butter. Add spinach and mix thoroughly, mold into 1-inch balls (or smaller). Arrange balls on a flat cookie sheet, cover and freeze (once frozen, keep in a ziploc bag – great ofr a last minute appetizer!) or chill if being served same day. Bake 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees; 5-10 minutes longer if frozen. Bake until edges start to brown.

Serve with: Ginger Mustard Dipping Sauce

•2 1-inch pieces peeled fresh gingerroot
•2 garlic cloves
•¼ C sugar
•3 Tbsp soy sauce
•2 Tbsp distilled white vinegar
•2 Tbsp ketchup
•2 tbsp water
•1 tsp dry mustard
•½ tsp sesame oil

Use blender or food processor to mince ginger and garlic. Add remaining ingredients and blend for 30 seconds. Cover tightly and refrigerate. Keeps at least one month.

Amber January 13, 2011 at 2:39 pm

My favorite spinach recipe is…. everything. Seriously, you can put spinach in *anything*. Most of the time you can’t taste it. I put spinach in shepherd’s pie, soups, chili, definitely lasagna, anything pasta related. It’s my favorite go-to versatile vegetable. The only thing I won’t use frozen spinach for is to serve as a side-dish. Sauteed fresh spinach is just too good to replace.

Deanna January 13, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Take some minced garlic and olive oil and saute it. Add diced tomatoes and spinach in a pan.
Thats it. It is delicious. ( taste a bit better though with fresh spinach leaves. I may have to try it with frozen). Enjoy

Sandra January 13, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I was recently in a similar pickle, and I found this spinach dip recipe that uses ingredients I usually have: http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/hot-spinach-dip . See the note at the top of the recipe about using frozen spinach instead of fresh. It turned out great and was just as good the next day.

L2L January 13, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I’ll see if I can find my shrek soup recipe for ya!!!!

Janell Poulette January 13, 2011 at 2:59 pm

This is one of the recipes I really like with spinach – http://www.savingyoudinero.com/2009/09/08/recipe-of-the-week-dinner-and-dessert/

I also love this recipe:
Stuffed Chicken Breasts
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts sliced in the middle
salt & pepper to taste
1 15oz container of ricotta cheese
1 10 ounce pkg frozen spinach defrosted and drained. (or cook fresh spinach)
2 garlic cloves minced
2 eggs beaten
1 8oz pkg shredded mozzarella cheese divided
1 16oz container sauce (whatever kind you like)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350
Mix all the ingredients (except chicken and sauce) with 4 oz of mozzarella cheese.
Scoop a little in each chicken. Use toothpick to close the chicken.
Cover with sauce and remaining cheese.
Cover and bake for 45-1 hour.

Janine January 13, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I love spinach quiche and have been making this recipe from food network for years. Always a hit!

Diana January 13, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I also love to add spinach to lots of things! I made a regular meatloaf a few weeks back but just added about 1/2 pkg of thawed, drained spinach to the mixture. Great way to sneak veggies into little kids and hubbies!

I also am a HUGE fan of the Lipton Spinach Dip recipe on the back of their Vegetable Soup mix box. I make this for almost every party and I always hope there will be leftovers and there aren’t. I once made a whole batch for myself and took it to work for lunch with pita chips and some fruit on the side. :)

I make spinach lasagna rollups….just instead of layering like a traditional lasagna, I spread out each flat noodle, spread the cheese/spinach mixture onto the noodle with the back of a spoon, and then roll up, place in baking dish, cover with sauce and shredded mozzarella, and then bake! YUM!! And oh so portable.

Tricia @Hodgepodge January 13, 2011 at 3:05 pm
Heather January 13, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Creamed Spinach

3 Tbsp. margarine
4 Tbsp. flour
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1 C. milk
1/2 C. sour cream
2 Tbsp. margarine
2 Tbsp. onion, minced
1/4 C. water
20 oz. frozen spinach, chopped
1/4 C. Parmesan cheese

Melt 3 Tbsp. margarine in a saucepan over medium low heat. Stir in flour and salt until creamed together. Stir in milk a little at a time. Increase heat to medium. Constantly stir with a whisk until mixture is thick and smooth. Remove from heat and set aside. Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat, add onions and sauté until clear. Add spinach and water to pan, lower the heat and cover. Stir several times until spinach is almost completely cooked. When spinach is almost done, add the white sauce, sour cream and Parmesan cheese. Stir well and simmer until completely blended

Jamie January 13, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I make a REALLY lazy creamed spinach- heat cream cheese in pan and add dried minced onions plus a sprinkle or two of nutmeg. Add in cooked frozen spinach. Done. Creamed spinach is one of the few veggies that my husband will eat!!!!

Kristia@Family Balance Sheet January 13, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I don’t care for cooked spinach by itself, but I do like it in mixed into meals. Here are some of my favorites:
Chicken stuffed with sun-dried tomatoes, spinach and feta

Turkey and Veggie Loaf

shannon January 13, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Definately spinach balls like Christina posted. Although mine are slightly different. I use herb stove top prepared instead of croutons.

The second is Chicken Ravioli Carbonera.

2 tablespoons Italian dressing
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 package (9 oz) refrigerated cheese-filled ravioli
1/2 cup half-and-half
4 slices bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
1 box frozen spinach, defrosted
Shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired

1.In largeskillet, heat dressing over high heat. Cook chicken in dressing 2 to 4 minutes, turning occasionally, until brown.
2.Add broth, spinach, and ravioli to skillet. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to medium. Cook uncovered about 4 minutes or until ravioli are tender and almost all broth has evaporated.
3.Stir in half-and-half; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 3 to 5 minutes or until sauce is hot and desired consistency (cook longer for a thicker sauce). Sprinkle with bacon, cheese and parsley.

shannon January 13, 2011 at 3:38 pm
katie January 13, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Spinach Cheese Pie

9″ flour-based pie crust ( I cheat and use Pillsbury but if you make your own even better)
1 package of frozen spinach, thawed
1 small container of low fat ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1 egg
1/4 cup favorite pasta sauce (enough to cover pie) – spicy sauces work particularly well
a bit of grated Parmesan cheese

Bake the crust as you would for a fruit pie and let cool.
Mix the ricotta, egg, spinach and mozzarella in a bowl until it is smooth. Pour into pie crust. Cover with a layer of pasta sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes. Test with a fork, it should come out fairly dry.

Serve with a tossed salad.
(all amounts are from memory and as this is a recipe I developed myself it changes from time to time)

Michelle K January 13, 2011 at 4:07 pm

This is in no way healthy, but it’s one of the only ways I’ll actually eat spinach
Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix Spinach Dip!!!!
It’s fabulous. However, with as much spinach as you have, you’d need to make it once a week for a few months! :)

Trina @ Frugal Dr. Mom January 13, 2011 at 4:28 pm

This recipe is unlike any we have ever tried. I found it on a chat board several years ago. The writer went on and on about how her family loved it and that she made nearly every week. Since it was healthy I had to try it. It is fantastic. Even my picky kids beg me to make it for them! There is just something about the combination of flavors. I am just happy to have something that is healthy and tastes great!

Spinach Turkey Meatloaf

Original recipe from 1941 Better Homes & Gardens cookbook.

TURKEY LOAF:
1 bunch fresh spinach
2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
1-1/2 pounds ground turkey
2 eggs (or 4 egg whites)
1/4 cup grated onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon sage

PIQUANT SAUCE:
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon dry mustard

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash, rinse and dry spinach; chop fine. Mix with ground turkey, bread crumbs, beaten eggs, onion, salt, pepper and sage. Form into loaf and place in greased 5×8-inch loaf pan. Combine remaining Piquant Sauce ingredients and spread over top of loaf. Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hr.

Alli January 13, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I add spinach to any ground meat dishes I make — meatballs, meatloaf, lasagna, etc. — as well as to the dumplings when I make chicken and dumplings (it makes them a little heavier, but I’m willing to sacrifice that for some green).

Also, my absolutely favorite brunch is sauteed spinach/onions/garlic on toasted bread topped with a poached egg or two — kind of a mock eggs Florentine, and very yummy.

amanda f January 13, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Spinach Rice Balls – Yum!

2 lbs. fresh spinach, washed and large stems removed
1 c. chopped scallions
2 t. olive oil
2 c. cooked rice [I like Jasmine]
2 T. finely chopped fresh dill
1 1/2 T. lemon juice
1 c. or so of cheese (I like crumbled feta )
salt and pepper
1 c. bread crumbs – Optional [I don’t use the bread crumbs as a ‘crust’ but many others do]

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Steam spinach; drain and chop.
Saute scallions in olive oil until slightly browned.
Combine spinach, scallions, rice, dill, lemon juice, cheese, and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly, breaking up the rice grains by mashing them against the sides of the bowl with your mixing spoon.
Combine until mixture holds together.
Using damp hands [You’ll have to ‘re-wet’ your hands often to keep the rice from sticking to you], roll spoonfuls of mixture into bite-sized balls.
If you desire, you can roll balls in bread crumbs.
Place on baking sheet–they can be placed very close together.
Bake at 350°F for 20–25 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
These freeze really well.

Jackie January 13, 2011 at 4:44 pm

This is one of our favorite ways to use frozen spinach… http://www.lovingmydomesticlife.com/2011/01/ham-spinach-stuffed-sandwiches.html Hope you get to try!

Min January 13, 2011 at 4:51 pm
Dee January 13, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I just posted my Spinach Roll-ups recipe and forgot to say that you need to squeeze/drain the spinach well before adding it with the cream cheese.

Susie January 13, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I threw this together in my effort to eat healthy – new year’s and all :)

thawed and drained frozen spinach, a jar of artichoke hearts (chopped) and plain non-fat yogurt. Add a little garlic, salt, pepper, worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce to taste.

I eat with crackers cold or hot or, my favorite – I spread some on one half a sandwich, place a slice of swiss cheese on the other, bake til toasty and warm and then add sliced avocado – yum :)

That’s my latest use of spinach for ya.

miranda January 13, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Creamy Chicken Florentine Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook Time 25 minutes

1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced (I used the chopped kind in a jar)
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
2 (6 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes.*
1 (10-ounce) package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed, well drained
2 ounces reduced-fat-cream cheese, cubed
3 cups lower-sodium chicken broth

In a medium heavy bottomed saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add
onion, garlic, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 7 minutes. Add chicken and spinach; stir for 1 minute.
Add cream cheese and stir until melted. Add broth, bring to a simmer, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Makes 4 (1 1/4 cups) servings 197 calories 7 g fat

* I used chicken breast pieces because this is what I had on hand. I also cooked the chicken in with the onion and garlic….waiting until it was almost done to put the garlic in. I just like seeing my chicken cooked before adding the other ingredients.

Rebecca January 13, 2011 at 5:59 pm

spanikopita! YUMMY!! Spinach, feta and phyllo what more could you want???

stickmayo January 13, 2011 at 6:05 pm

I don’t really have an exact recipe but love to make spinach quesadillas. I saute spinach, onions, mushrooms, garlic (and anything else that sounds good) in some olive oil with salt/pepper. Once everything is heated well, take off burner. Then add to tortillas with cheese, fry til delicious!! Top with sour cream/salsa/etc. Open a can of refrieds and CALL ME!!!

Virginia January 13, 2011 at 6:13 pm

1 family pkg of fresh tortillini
chicken broth
1 10 oz frozen chopped broccoli

Makes the YUMMIEST soup ever and my kids love it.

Just defrost and drain the spinach and then put in chicken broth till it boils
Then add Tortillini for 7-9 minutes on med boil.

Tabitha (A Penny Saved) January 13, 2011 at 6:13 pm
Gian January 13, 2011 at 6:19 pm

This is one of my kids’ favorite spinach recipes–we use it all the time–Italian Spinach Pie:

I love just throwing everything in one bowl, mixing, then baking. Quick and easy, vegetarian and gluten-free.

Kasandra January 13, 2011 at 6:43 pm

One of my favorites- my kids are NOT fans of veggies but they LOVE this.

* 12 oz Jumbo Shells
* 1/2 white large onion, chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, chopped
* 1 tsp olive oil
* 1 lb 99% lean ground turkey
* 32 oz pureed tomatoes
* 1 tbsp basil
* salt and pepper

* 2 cups part skim ricotta cheese
* 2 cups 2% milk reduced fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
* 1 egg
* 10 oz package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
* 1/4 cup Parmesan Reggiano

Boil water and cook shells according to package directions, make sure to make them al dente.

Meanwhile, saute onions and garlic in oil. Add turkey and salt and brown until cooked, breaking up in small pieces. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper and basil, then simmer on low, covered.

Preheat oven to 375°.
In a large bowl, mix together ricotta, egg, spinach, mozzarella, and parmesan.

Once shells are cooked and cool, fill shells with the cheese mixture and place in baking dish with a little sauce in the bottom. Cover shells with half of the sauce, cover with foil and bake 40 minutes, uncover foil and bake 5 more minutes.

Kathy Hester January 13, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I sneak in greens where ever possible. You could also sub spinach for the Collards in this recipe. It even won over the greens hater in my house!

Citrus Collards
soy-free, gluten-free
serves 4
Add the balsamic and flavored olive oil right before serving.

1 tablespoon plain olive oil
2 bunches collards (other greens like spinach can be substituted)
1/4 to 1/2 cup water
1 to 2 tablespoons blood orange olive oil (or plain olive oil and 1 tablespoon orange juice)
1 to 2 tablespoons lemon white balsamic vinegar
salt, to taste

Heat olive oil in a larger saute pan. Add water as and if needed. This just helps them steam a bit if they are thick. It also keeps them from burning.

As soon as they are soft but still green, take them off the heat and add the salt, flavored oil and vinegar. Start out with 1 tablespoon of each and add more until the flavors are strong, but not so strong that you don’t know what you are eating.

Jillian January 13, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Spinach Gnocci
Boil 6 cloves of garlic for 4 min. in skins. peel & mash with 1 oz herbs (basil, corriander, etc…whatever you like).
9 oz ricotta cheese
1 egg yolk
1/3 C Parmesan cheese
2/3 C flour
10 oz chopped spinach (give or take a bit) steamed*.

*steam over the boiling garlic to save a step.

Mix together to make dough. Form into walnut sized balls. Boil in salted water. Gnoccis are done when they float. Drain, saute in butter (1 stick, melted), sprinkle with more Parmesan & a little sage.

Rhonda January 13, 2011 at 7:02 pm

How weird, I just got through eating a Spinach Swiss Quiche……it was soooooooo good.
The recipe is on the cover of Healthy Cooking(Taste of Home ) April/May of 2009:
1 refrigerated pie crust put in oven at 450 degrees for 13 minutes, laying a sheet of tin foil over it
In the meantime cook: 4 strips of turkey bacon
small cut onion
green /red peppers until tender\
squueze out excess water from frozen spinach 10 oz. package and add to above mixture..
Take pie crust our of oven and reduce heat to 350 degrees, dump in above mixture to pie crust, then in a small bowl add :
2 cups egg substitue(I used 2 real eggs)
1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese (I used reg. cottage cheese)(no fat free for me)
1/2 Shredded swiss cheese
1/2 tea. dried oregano
1/2 teas. dried parsley
1/4 teas. each of salt, pepper and paprika
mix and pour over spinach mixture
Bake 40 minutes……..or until knife comes out clean when checking…
Hope you make this and enjoy..
I also put in some rolls the last 7 minutes and had sliced pineapple….

Ellen @ cheapcooking.com January 13, 2011 at 7:20 pm

White beans and spinach baked with a bit of cheese and breadcrumbs on top. Mmmmm.

Lauren - As Good As Gluten January 13, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I made this dish a few nights ago and it is AMAZING! You should definitely try it! If you’renot gluten-free, use regular breadcrumbs. It’s Lazy Baked Greek Chicken, here’s the recipe link. http://asgoodasgluten.blogspot.com/2011/01/lazy-baked-greek-chicken.html

Enjoy!

Sarah January 13, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Serving 3-4 for 2 nights!

Spinach topping (for over penne, riggies or ravioli)

*2 tablespoons olive oil
*2-3 cloves garlic crushed into paste
*1 package frozen leaf spinach
*1 cup skim milk
*1/2 cup grated romano/parmasean cheese
*salt and pepper to taste

Remove paper and open box of spinach, thaw spinach while still in open box in microwave on high for 2-3 minutes. Then push in the lid and squeeze out the water over the sink.

Heat olive oil in sauce pan and saute garlic for a minute add the spinach and toss.

Add milk and grated cheese and raise heat to med until it comes to a simmer. Taste. Add salt and pepper to your liking.

I like to spoon this topping over ravioli or another heavy pasta like penne or riggies along side a grilled breast of chicken.

PLUS… When there is leftover sauce…

Spinach & Chicken Roll

*1 cup or more leftover spinach topping recipe above
*1 leftover grilled chicken breast diced
*1/2 cup grated havarti cheese
*1 bag pre-made raw bread dough
*Flour for rolling dough
Spray olive oil

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.

Roll out dough on floured surface to 1/2″ thickness in an oval-shape. Spread leftover sauce, diced chicken and grated cheese evenly over the dough. Fold in about 2 inches on the short sides of the oval, then roll the entire thing into a jelly-roll style log and place crease-side-down on an olive-oil sprayed baking sheet.

Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned all over. Allow to cool and cut into slices and serve with a fresh salad.

Enjoy!

RD January 13, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Not a recipe so to speak. I thaw it and put it all over the top of a frozen pizza. Personally I like to add canned mushrooms as well. My two year olds and I love it! Can’t say that my 15 year old eats it as he can see that it’s green!

Lori January 13, 2011 at 9:20 pm

This is not the healthiest recipe but so good! I always make it for parties and there are never leftovers. Its buttery, cheezy and crunchy.

Spinach Corn Casserole
1/4 cup minced onion
2 Tablespoons butter
1 pkg. frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1 can creamed corn
1 can white corn
8 Tablespoons melted butter
8 Tablespoons parmesean cheese
1 cup cracker crumbs ( I use Club or Ritz crackers)

Saute onion and the 2 Tbs.butter until soft. Mix creamed corn, white corn and spinach in a bowl. Mix in onion mixture. Place in a greased casserole dish. Mix remaining butter, cheese and cracker crumbs and sprinkle on top. Bake for 30 minutes at 350.

Lori January 13, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I forgot in the above recipe…drain the white corn but not the creamed corn before mixing!

Jennifer January 13, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I love spinach and these all look so good.

Here is one more for you: Maple-Walnut Chicken with spinach and rice
I sometimes double the sauce so I have plenty to pour on the rice and the spinach as well as the chicken.

Lynnea January 13, 2011 at 9:36 pm

I have just a handful of spinach recipes – several from Deceptively Delicious. But the Clubhouse Squares are pretty tasty!

Lynnea January 13, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I have just a handful of spinach recipes ( http://lynneasrecipes.blogspot.com/search?q=spinach ) – several from Deceptively Delicious. But the Clubhouse Squares are pretty tasty!

Nicole January 13, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I just add it to everything! Great in scrambled eggs, fritatta, any pasta, etc… One of my favorites is mixing spinach with any of the following: olive oil, kale, black olives, cottage cheese, any cheese :), artichokes, broccoli etc. and stuffing chicken breasts with that and baking them. SO delicious! Hope someone enjoys it!

Paula N. January 13, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I love Rachael Ray’s Spinach, Artichoke, & Chicken Penne. I’ve made it many, many times, including for Mother’s Day for my mom and mother-in-law. It’s found here: http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/spinach-artichoke-and-chicken-penne/ . Yummy!! I usually omit the artichokes because my family doesn’t care for them, but otherwise I make it per Rachael’s recipe.

Meegan Smith January 13, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Spinach and cottage cheese with an egg and parmesan cheese, stuffed in pasta shells, covered with sauce and cheese and baked in the oven. The best

Erin January 13, 2011 at 11:13 pm

I would put spinach in everything if given the opportunity! Curries, Spinach Pie, Lasagna, Baked Ziti, Quiche… the possibilities are endless. My freezer always looks like that! Boxes and bags of frozen spinach! I love it! Good luck putting your spinach to good use. Now you’ve got me thinking about some other ways to use spinach!

Sweet T January 13, 2011 at 11:20 pm

I submitted my recipe for Link text… it’s a great all-vegetable lasagna recipe which has been a favorite around my house for years. It’s tasty even if you’re not a vegetable lover.

Megan C. January 13, 2011 at 11:28 pm

I got this recipe from my mother-in-law. Very good!

Broccoli Soup:

1/2 package of Velveeta (don’t use light)
2 bags frozen broccoli (or 1 bag frozen broccoli and 1 bag frozen cauliflower) (16 oz. each)
1 carton Swanson chicken broth (32 oz.)
1 can of Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 package of frozen spinach

Combine everything except the Velveeta in a big pot on the stove over medium-high heat. Once it starts boiling, cut up the velveeta into small pieces and add them to the pot. Once it’s all melted, it’s done! I have found that if you let it simmer for awhile it seems to taste better. :)

Linsey January 14, 2011 at 1:20 am

I love spinach. One of my favorite ways to eat frozen spinich is to cook it, drain the water and the add lots of apple cider vinegar. Sounds weird, but it super easy, cheap and delicious.

I just made a recipe earlier this week from the South Beach Diet cookbook for muffin sized spinich quiche, which is a perfect breakfast that you can make ahead of time and then grab on the go in the mornings. All you do is mix cooked frozen spinich, egg substitute, bell pepper, onion and hot sauce together and then add into muffin pan and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. So good, easy and healthy. They also freeze really well.