- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Butternut Squash Chili
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On November 5, 2012 @ 5:00 pm In Beef,Dairy Free,GFCFSF,Gluten Free,One Dish Dinners,Recipes,Soup | 7 Comments
It’s always risky experimenting with recipes when you have guests over for dinner. But it’s also good…in that you get great feedback. Good or bad.
And this chili…only good feedback
We had our family join us for dinner last weekend and this is what I made. I can’t not purchase butternut squash at the store each week because they are so inexpensive. So easy to cook with. And so delicious.
Chili is usually inexpensive and is a wonderful meal to serve to a crowd when you’re on a tight grocery budget. I was able to cook up a big pot of chili for my family without having to go to the store! Love it when I can make that happen!
(Well, not quite 101, but we’re working towards that number!)
(Also, how to cut and freeze butternut squash .)
Butternut Squash Chili
Yield – 8 servings
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 40 minutes
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef ($2.98)
- 1 onion, diced ($.40)
- 1 small butternut squash, diced ($.99)
- 1 lb baby carrots, halved ($.99)
- 2 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes ($1)
- 1 15 oz. can black beans (red or pinto beans would be great too!) ($.79)
- 3 Tbsp chili powder ($.15)
- 1 tsp garlic powder ($.05)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Homemade or store bought bread/rolls ($1)
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, brown the ground beef with the diced onion. Once browned, drain and then return to the pot. Add the squash, baby carrots, diced tomatoes with juices, black beans with juices and about 4 cups of water. (Add more or less depending on how soup-y you want it!) Stir in the chili powder and garlic powder.
- Bring to a bubbling boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 more minutes, or until the squash cubes are soft. (Cooking time will vary depending on thickness of the squash cubes.)
- Season with salt and pepper. And some crushed pepper, if you want some extra heat!
- Prepare bread.
- Serve Butternut Squash Chili with side of bread.
Cost $8.35 (8 servings!)
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/butternut-squash-chili/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
 101 Chili Recipes on Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/5dollardinners/101-chili-recipes/
 how to cut and freeze butternut squash: http://www.5dollardinners.com/ways-giant-butternut-squash/
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.