- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On May 7, 2012 @ 5:37 pm In $5 Dinner Challenge,Dairy Free,Feature,GFCFSF,Gluten Free,Pantry Staples,Recipes,rice | 17 Comments
We’ve all seen (or had) the 7 layer dip cups to serve at parties. But what about dinner in a cup. Specifically, burrito dinner in a cup.
Sure burritos, require tortillas…but what if you can’t eat tortillas.
We have a kid who is currently off gluten (and a number of other foods) because of some chronic respiratory issues that are not being resolved with medication. Being the “aggressive, get to the bottom of it mother” that I am, coupled with the fact that one of his brother’s has other food allergies,we’ve decided to stick to mostly gluten free dinners. (And the GF diet seems to be helping him, yay!)
We find ourselves eating at Chipotle when we need a quick and inexpensive dinner out…and this is where I was inspired to make these “cups” rather than “bowls.”
When we had these for dinner the other night, I found less of a rice mess on the table. When rice in a bowl, or on a plate, it tends to end up all over the table and under the table. And stuck onto the chairs. But there was much less mess with these cups. I guess because the rice was easier to scoop out of the cup and not fall all over the place.
Yay for less mess!
And since the entire meal was served in the cups, there was less mess to clean up after dinner too.
Win. Win. Win.
I laid out all the ingredients as if we were having a taco bar. Then started filling cups!
Simple as that. Hope you enjoy these as much as we did (and will!)…
Inspired by Chipotle Burrito Bowls
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 20 minutes
Cooking Time – 50 minutes for the rice, none for assembling cups
- 2-3 cups cooked rice ($.50)
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups cooked black beans ) ($.59 from Aldi)
- about 1/2 cup shredded cheese (omit for dairy free!) ($.40)
- 2 avocados, diced ($1.98)
- about 1 cup chunky salsa ($.99 from Aldi)
- Cilantro, optional garnish ($.25)
- Other burrito cup mix-ins ideas – taco meat (homemade taco seasoning ), taco meat with beans , shredded chicken taco meat, sour cream, other favorite burrito fillings
- Tortilla chips, optional
- Cook the rice as directed.
- Set out the black beans, shredded cheese, diced avocado, and salsa (along with any other mixins).
- Spoon the ingredients into cups. Eat. Repeat.
- Serve Burrito Cups, as is, or with tortilla chips. Or in tortillas.
Have a Frugal and Healthy Recipe to share?
Post the recipe on your blog and then add the link below. Other guidelines can be found here . To make it easy for other readers to find your recipe, please leave the link that leads directly to your recipe post. Any links that lead to your homepage will be deleted. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to leave your recipe in the comments section!
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/burrito-cups/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
 cooked black beans: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/10/how-to-cook-dried-beans.html
 diced : http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/04/how-to-choose-and-cut-an-avocado.html
 homemade taco seasoning: http://www.5dollardinners.com/homemade-taco-seasoning
 taco meat with beans: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2010/03/stretching-protein-dinner.html
 shredded chicken : http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/08/how-to-cook-a-whole-chicken.html
 here: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2007/01/5-dinner-challenge.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.