This casserole is a nice way to add more fresh vegetables, and some whole grain rice, to the dinner menu. I used celery and broccoli since this was what we had available. You can substitute this for your favorite fresh vegetables, or whatever you have on hand. I also used a can of cream corn, to bring an added fun flavor, and a little creaminess. My teenage sons loved this!
Brown Rice Casserole
Yield – 8 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 48 minutes
- 12 oz. chicken broth $1.00
- 2 and 1/4 cups water
- 1 T. onion powder .02 cents
- 4 stalks of chopped celery .30 cents
- 1 and 1/2 cups of whole grain brown rice .92 cents
- One can of creamed corn (14 oz.) .69 cents
- One pound of ground chicken burger $2.50
- 1/3 cup of fresh organic broccoli crowns (chopped into small pieces) .25 cents
- 1 and 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese $1.50
- Combine first five ingredients in a stock pot. Bring to a boil. Then turn down to a low boil and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes. Turn off burner and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Brown the chicken in a frying pan until fully cooked. Set aside.
- When the rice is finished, add the corn and burger. Stir together.
- In a lightly greased 13 x 9 inch glass pan, spread the rice mixture.
- Top with cheese and sprinkle with the broccoli.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 13 minutes, or until cheese is fully melted.