Blue Cheese, Spinach and a Special Surprise

by Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom on April 15, 2009

All I want to eat is spinach.  I’d love to throw a little blue cheese on a spinach salad.  But I can’t!

I’m also craving asparagus, chocolate and cereal! Oh yeah, and Stouffer’s Macaroni and Cheese???

All these signs point to one thing… this mama is expecting baby #3!  Due Thanksgiving Day-ish!

First Trimester + Writing a Food Blog = Toaster Struedel and Green Beans for dinner???

No really, I will do my VERY BEST to post a recipe each night.  But, I just might end up eating Toaster Struedels (or Stouffers or asparagus) while the rest of my men eat their dinner!  ;)

If you have any tips or experiences on how to best handle the whole “I just can’t seem to stomach what I just cooked” pregnancy issue, please share them!  (I know this will pass in a few weeks, but in the mean time…)

joanna April 15, 2009 at 7:08 am

Congratulations, Erin! Yay!
Good luck with the cooking-in-the-first-trimester thing!

Becky Dell April 15, 2009 at 7:21 am

I told Yuko last night! Good news travels fast!! Congrats again!

Jamie April 15, 2009 at 7:58 am

Congratulations!! We’re expecting #3 October 2nd!! Good luck with the food and blogging!! I gave up my blog when I found out I was expecting. I just couldn’t handle another thing on my plate, so something had to go. I wish you all the best and hopefully the 2nd trimester will come very soon and the food problems will go away!!

Tricia April 15, 2009 at 8:01 am

Congratulations again! Good luck with that whole cooking thing while pregnant. I fear my blog is doomed too if I ever get pregnant again.

Meshellyn April 15, 2009 at 8:05 am

Congratulations!!!

Baby #2 just arrived for us a few weeks ago. When I first found out I was pregnant I prepared the freezer. Went to one of those fancy meal prep places, and cooked more at home. Unfortunately, I get pretty sick and those meals did not appeal to me at all. Many of them are still sitting in the freezer and won’t be eaten. All that money down the drain :(

I say let your hubby do the cooking and you put your feet up for a few months :)

Jennifer S. April 15, 2009 at 8:07 am

Congratulations, Erin! I’m so happy for you!

J April 15, 2009 at 8:09 am

Congrats girl!! So exciting!

Lynn April 15, 2009 at 8:14 am

Congratulations!!! I had terrible all day sickness with all 3 preg. One thing I couldn’t stand was the smell of food cooking. So, a friend told me to put my crockpot in the garage. It worked great. I could put the meal together if I felt better earlier in the day. Then I just plugged it in and left it cooking in the garage. I also had an outlet on my deck so I would set it outside to cook. Of course this only works if you have a garage or deck and it has an outlet. Congratulations again and I think we will all understand if you don’t always eat what you cook. :) Or if you have days where you don’t feel like cooking at all.

Amy April 15, 2009 at 8:14 am

CONGRATS!! I am so happy for your family!!

Kelly April 15, 2009 at 8:16 am

Congrats Erin!! Sooo happy for you!!

Nifty Nique April 15, 2009 at 8:17 am

How super exciting!!! Congrats Erin!!!

gourmetmomma April 15, 2009 at 8:24 am

congrats! how wonderful for you (and hubby too).

Org Junkie April 15, 2009 at 8:30 am

Yay!!! That is a special surprise, congratulations!!!

The Happy Housewife April 15, 2009 at 8:30 am

WOOO HOOO!
Congrats Erin! I am so happy for you. I have always wanted to know the best way to make toaster struedels so post away! lol!
Toni

MJ April 15, 2009 at 8:35 am

Congratulations, Erin! I’m very excited for you.

When I was pregnant with #2, I was very careful to plan dinners that wouldn’t make me sick WHILE I was cooking them. Which isn’t to say I ate all of them, but at least I wasn’t running to the bathroom while I was still cooking! Eggs and garlic were my two biggest problem smells. As for what to eat when dinner doesn’t sound good . . . I made the mistake of eating too many carbs and not enough protein. Unfortunately, that made my exhaustion worse. So, if God wills another baby for us, I’ll be doing protein shakes/bars when dinner doesn’t appeal to me. I pray you have a safe, healthy pregnancy!

Phoebe @ Cents to Get Debt Free April 15, 2009 at 8:35 am

Congrats, Erin!

I couldn’t stand the smell of food when I was pregnant with number 3 either, and I was never hungry. Oddly enough, he was the biggest of all 3 of my kiddos (10 lbs 1oz!)

Erin April 15, 2009 at 8:35 am

LOL Toni! I just might do a post…just for you ;) Perhaps “The Art of Squeezing the Icing onto a Toaster Struedel”!!!

Erin April 15, 2009 at 8:37 am

Thanks for the suggestions Lynn, Meshellyn and MJ! Duly noted!!!

Jill April 15, 2009 at 8:37 am

Congrats! I am so excited for you!

Wendy April 15, 2009 at 9:03 am

Congratulations! The only thing I could keep down at the beginning of my last pregnancy was KFC, but I never thought of trying Toaster Stuedels!

PastormacsAnn April 15, 2009 at 9:23 am

Congrats! How exciting for you!

Heather April 15, 2009 at 9:25 am

Congrats!! We’re 16 weeks along with #4 and still haven’t let the cat out of the bag yet–although it’s already getting hard to hide. Have you tried keeping a fan in the window to blow out all of those delicious dinner aromas? Sometimes it helped me to not have to smell everything while I was cooking it up. Also, sucking on a peppermint lifesaver while standing at the stove or sipping warm peppermint tea before dinner sometimes helped. Best of luck to you–we wish you all the very best!!

Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam April 15, 2009 at 9:30 am

Yipee!!! Congrats. All this baby talk is really making me with our “false positive” was the real deal. :)

And yea for toaster strudels. You know we can get them for really cheap with our coupons…lol.

Amber @ Classic Housewife April 15, 2009 at 9:30 am

Congrats, Erin!

Yeah – cooking and morning sickness can be a bad combo. Blech. = $

Here’s my suggestions: Use your crockpot as much as possible. Temporarily put off cooking things you just can’t stand the smell of (I couldn’t stand the smell of beef raw or cooking with my first. Chicken and everything else was fine- weird!) Or ask your husband to help you cook the parts you can’t handle (my hubs eats mostly beef so he was willing to cook the ground beef so I could make spaghetti or something.) Try to do most of your cooking during the part of the day you feel the best. Try different morning sickness remedies to make it as endurable as possible. (I think having enough protein and vitamin B were the 2 biggest things that helped me – I ate a lot of cashews, almonds and pistachios in between meals to keep me from getting too sick. With number three, all I could stand were plain cheeseburgers, no veggies. Opposite of my #1 – but then he was a BOY!) =)

And maybe before you get too sick with morning sickness you can cook up some things to put in the freezer? I’ve never been really good at that, but I’m sure you’re a pro at that sort of thing. :)

Vanderbilt Wife April 15, 2009 at 9:34 am

CONGRATULATIONS!! Unfortunately the only thing that worked for me in the first trimester was making hubby cook, avoiding meat altogether, and having my mom come freeze some meals for us!! I could eat red meat and pork, but I didn’t want to look at it raw!

PamperingBeki April 15, 2009 at 9:34 am

YAY Erin!!!! Congratulations!!

Erin April 15, 2009 at 9:35 am

Great idea Heather! Will grab some peppermints at the store…sounds like it might work. I’ve been chewing gum other times of the day to help with the queasiness!

Thanks for all your input Amber! Cashews sound tasty…anything salty is cool…right now anyways! I thought about picking up some meals from “freezer meals places” like Main Dish or Dream Dinners. I’ve seen coupons floating around…just might be what I need to get through this next bit!

Erin April 15, 2009 at 9:52 am

Jessie-
I’m having the SAME raw meat issue. It’s OK once it’s cooked, but I can’t handle the raw :(

And your strawberry balsamic chicken sounds LOVELY!!!

FishMama@LifeasMOM April 15, 2009 at 9:53 am

I filled the freezer as soon as I knew. That way I didn’t have to cook. And, on off-nights I ate yogurt. Plus, cooking ahead when I didn’t feel bad.

FishMama@LifeasMOM April 15, 2009 at 9:53 am

PS Congratulations!

Abigail's Mommy April 15, 2009 at 10:39 am

Congratulations!

Nicole @frugalisfab April 15, 2009 at 11:04 am

Congratulations Erin!

Alex April 15, 2009 at 11:10 am

Congratulations!!! That’s so exciting. We’re expecting #5 in 5 weeks and I have had horrible morning sickness with all 5. One thing that worked for me with #4 was ginger capsules. As long as I took them early in the morning (before morning sickness really set it) I felt quite a bit better throughout the day. Also, I’ve heard that sea-bands (I think that’s what they’re called) are supposed to work wonders. They are the bands that you wear on your wrists. They’re supposed to be great for motion sickness but also help with morning sickness.

As far as cooking goes, we increased the grocery budget this last time around and allowed some extra money for convenience-style foods. I’ve tried to start planning freezer meals as soon as I found out I was pregnant, but the last time around that didn’t seem to help me. What I had the hardest time with was deciding what to eat. if it were up to me, we wouldn’t eat! I had my husband come up with ideas for meals. I was better off just making them, rather than actually having to think of what to prepare. Nothing ever sounded good.

Kacie April 15, 2009 at 11:31 am

Congrats! I didn’t have many cravings during pregnancy — but I’ve had a ton afterwards! Weird.

I hope you have a safe and uneventful pregnancy and delivery

Amy @ MomsToolbox April 15, 2009 at 11:52 am

Hip. Hip. HOORAY! What wonderful news!!!!

Wendy April 15, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Congratulations! I’m expecting #2 also around Thanksgiving! I know exactly what you mean about the cooking issue. Today I made the mistake of making a roast in the crockpot. Ugh. The smell has been making me sick all day long, not just the 30-60 minutes before dinner! Crockpot doesn’t work for me. I’m anxious to hear what other suggestions people give you!!

Thrifty Living Mom April 15, 2009 at 4:44 pm

Congratulations! What wonderful, wonderful news! I am expecting baby #7 right around the same time as you are due—maybe a week earlier or so. Take care!

Erin April 15, 2009 at 5:50 pm

Congratulations!!

Rhonda GreenBarron April 15, 2009 at 6:13 pm

Congratulations on the addition to your family! I was also one of those people who never had a food craving while pregnant…but, I did have a food aversion. Cooked vegetables (including potatoes!). Couldn’t even hide them in soups, stews, Chinese take-out, etc. Since I really liked vegetables, I ate them raw. All. the. time.

Rhonda

Katrina April 15, 2009 at 7:46 pm

Aw congrats!!!! :) That is wonderful news! :)

I’ve never been pregnant but I have been reading Michelle Duggar’s book. She says that eat small frequent meals and snacks full of protein like cheese are good at stopping the nausea.

She also wears the pressure point bands. I had a medicine that made me very nauseated and they helped tons.

Kat

Crystal April 15, 2009 at 8:05 pm

What helped me most through my last pregnancy when I couldn’t eat regular food, was protein shakes. A lot of times they can satisfy you without feeling queasy. Make sure you get a good quality one like GNLD’s, and that you’re still filling in your calories. So it’s a great alternative to when you feel like you just can’t stomach a plate of food.

Denise Shuey Saunders April 15, 2009 at 8:59 pm

Erin,
Congrats again. I had the cooking fmeat issue with #2. I would plan the meal, but Eric had to cook it. There were times I couldn’t be in the house! I would hide in the bedroom until the smell subsided. I usually couldn’t eat anything much when we had beef or pork. So I’d snack on Saltines, Goldfish or Cheerios, which also took away morning sickness with #1. And my current food aversion is peppermint! I can’t stand the smell. Christmas was tough at times this year. Each pregnancy has been so different. I wish I had better advice. Good luck.
Denise

Christine April 15, 2009 at 9:17 pm

Congrats! And for me, my trick was sucking on something sour. Sour patch kids worked like a charm for my 2nd pregnancy, believe it or not! I would carry a bag with me everywhere I went.

Anne April 15, 2009 at 10:00 pm

Congrats Erin! What a blessing :) Paesano’s spaghetti w/ tomato sauce was all I could handle for a little while….and Whataburger chocolate shakes….You should probably come back to SA soon :)

Crystal @ Simply Being Mommy April 15, 2009 at 10:20 pm

Congratulations on baby #3 :)

Deborah April 16, 2009 at 9:12 am

Congratulations!!!

Amanda April 16, 2009 at 9:56 am

Congrats Erin!!!! I’m of no help. I lived on sour patch kids and plums for almost an entire month in my last pregnancy.

Susan April 16, 2009 at 11:36 am

Erin! Congratulations! when i was at the i can’t stand to cook/eat what i just cooked stage dh was wonderful and stepped up to the plate for me. if i didn’t have to cook i was a little better about being able to eat it. hope this helps.

Karen April 16, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Congratulations!!

Amy April 16, 2009 at 6:56 pm

Congratulations!! I’m very glad to hear I’m not the only one that craves toaster strudels when pregnant. lol It’s not something I really ever buy except when pregnant.