There is just something so American about BLTs. Something so basic and delicious.
I was not a fan of tomatoes until about 7 years ago. Some time during my days in the Dominican Republic, my taste buds morphed and decided to start liking tomatoes. Then I had to break the news to my Aunt Julie (the only family member on my moms side who didn’t like tomatoes either), and turns out…she recently started liking tomatoes. Hmphfff.
Well, now we can both enjoy these little goodies!
How these came about…I found some Sister Schubert’s dinner rolls in the freezer. Right next to a package of turkey bacon. So BLT Sliders it was. I had some lettuce and a tomato on hand. But when I went to get out the mayo, I decided that was too boring. So I grabbed some grated Parmesan and some spices and ended up with a delicious spread for our sliders!
(Note: Because we are getting ready to put our house on the market , I’m doing my best to clear out our deep freezer so we can put it out in our storage shed…to make things a little roomier in our laundry room. This is one of those “let’s get this thing cleared out” meals! Expect to see more of those around here!)
BLT Sliders with Parmesan Mayo
Yield – 10 sliders
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 10 minutes
- 1 package turkey bacon ($1.50)
- 1 package Sister Schubert’s dinner rolls ($1.50)
- 2 small tomatoes ($1)
- 4 lettuce leaves ($.10)
- 1/2 cup mayo ($.10)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese ($.25)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder ($.02)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder ($.02)
- Salt and pepper
- Chips and fresh fruit for serving ($1)
- Cook the turkey bacon in the oven, or in a skillet. Heat the dinner rolls in the oven as directed, then slice open.
- Slice the tomatoes, cut the lettuce to size of the rolls, if necessary.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the mayo, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Spread the Parmesan mayo onto one side of the roll, then add the bacon, lettuce and tomato.
- Serve BLT Sliders with Parmesan Mayo and some fresh fruit and/or chips
Cost $5.49 (with LOTS of extra cooked bacon!)