So I could have named this recipe a number of things.
Chicken Taco Soup
Chicken, Salsa and Double Bean Soup
Tex-Mex Chicken Soup
Clear out the Pantry Chicken Soup
And in the end I settled on Chicken, Black Bean with Salsa Soup.
(Which definitely hurts the feelings of the red beans…they feel totally left out.)
Chicken, Black Bean with Salsa Soup
- 3 chicken breasts, diced ($2.56)
- 1 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil ($.05)
- 2 Tbsp homemade taco seasoning ($.10)
- 2 cups cooked black beans ($.40)
- 2 cups cooked red beans ($.40)
- 2 cups homemade chicken broth (free)
- (About 2-3 cups water…depending on how thick you like your soup)
- 2 cups frozen corn ($.88)
- 1 cup store bought salsa ($.50) On sale for $1
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Couple pinchfuls of cheese, optional ($.25)
- 1 avocado, sliced for garnish ($1)
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute the diced chicken breast in the oil with the taco seasoning mixed in. (If you have cooked and shredded chicken, that will work too!)
- Once the chicken has cooked through, add the cooked black beans, the cooked red beans, the broth and water. Stir in the frozen corn, no need to thaw, as well as the salsa. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for 15-20 minutes. (Time it so that the cooking scents are at the best when your spouse walks in the door from work!) Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and top with a pinchful of shredded cheese and a slice or two of fresh avocado.
- Serve Chicken, Black Bean with Salsa Soup with Cheese and Avocado Slices.
Cost $6.14 (6 adult servings!)
Have a Fabulous Weekend Friends!