I first had the idea to make this dinner after seeing it on Brandy’s site awhile back. But we can’t do canned soups, so I made it from scratch.
Here you go.
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 40 minutes
- About 1 lb. steak, cubed ($2.67) On sale for $2.69/lb.
- 1 Tbsp oil ($.05)
- Salt and pepper
- 3 Tbsp butter or margarine ($.30) I used dairy free margarine
- 3 Tbsp flour ($.05)
- 3 cups milk ($.30) I used rice milk
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce ($.10)
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 4 oz. can sliced mushrooms ($.50) On sale at Walgreens this week!
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 bag of no-yolk noodles ($.41) On sale for $1.82 and matched a $1 coupon! Just $.82 for the bag!!!
- 2 large heads of broccoli ($.79)
- Add the steak, cut into cubes, to a large skillet with the oil and some salt and pepper. Brown.
- Remove the browned beef from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet that you used to brown the beef, add the butter/margarine and let melt.
- Add the flour and stir it into the melted butter.
- Whisk in the milk and turn heat to medium.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and let cook over medium heat for 6-8 minutes…
- …or until starts to bubble and thicken.
- Once bubbling, stir in the chopped onion and sliced mushrooms.
- Stir the beef back into the sauce.
- Let simmer over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, or until sauce reaches desired consistency.
- Prepare noodles as directed on package.
- Steam broccoli in stove-top steamer or in microwavable bowl with 1/4 cup of water covered with plastic wrap for 4-5 minutes.
- Serve Beef Stroganoff over No-Yolk Noodles with Broccoli.