I first had the idea to make this dinner after seeing it on Brandy’s site awhile back. But we can’t do canned soups, so I made it from scratch.
Here you go.
About 1 lb. steak ($2.67) On sale for $2.69/lb.
1 Tbsp oil ($.05)
Salt and pepper
3 Tbsp butter or margarine ($.30) I used dairy free margarine
3 Tbsp flour ($.05)
3 cups milk ($.30) I used rice milk
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce ($.10)
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 4 oz. can sliced mushrooms ($.50) On sale at Walgreens this week!
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 bag of no-yolk noodles ($.41) On sale for $1.82 and matched a $1 coupon! Just $.82 for the bag!!!
2 large heads of broccoli ($.79)
1. Add the steak, cut into cubes, to a large skillet with the oil and some salt and pepper. Brown.
2. Remove the browned beef from the skillet and set aside.
3. In the same skillet that you used to brown the beef, add the butter/margarine and let melt.
4. Add the flour and stir it into the melted butter.
5. Whisk in the milk and turn heat to medium.
6. Add the Worcestershire sauce and let cook over medium heat for 6-8 minutes…
7. …or until starts to bubble and thicken.
8. Once bubbling, stir in the chopped onion and sliced mushrooms.
9. Stir the beef back into the sauce.
10. Let simmer over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, or until sauce reaches desired consistency.
11. Prepare noodles as directed on package.
12. Steam broccoli in stove-top steamer or in microwavable bowl with 1/4 cup of water covered with plastic wrap for 4-5 minutes.
13. Serve Beef Stroganoff over No-Yolk Noodles with Broccoli.