- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Beef Roast with Garden Vegetables – $5 Dinner Challenge
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On June 29, 2009 @ 3:29 pm In $5 Dinner Challenge,Beef,Dairy Free,Garden,GFCFSF,Gluten Free,Recipes,Slow Cooker | 10 Comments
I had a beef shoulder roast stashed in the freezer that I plan to use for 2 meals this week. The roast was almost 2.5 lbs…too much for our family. I’ll use the other half of the beef roast on Thursday when I make a Beef Stroganoff.
Cubed beef to be used in the stroganoff, other portion of the roast to be sliced and eaten now!
I’m keeping the cost low on this meal by picking vegetables from the garden and incorporating them right in! There is just something so SATISFYING about growing and eating your own food. I didn’t realize how much I would enjoy gardening!
And why on earth am I using my crockpot on a hot summer day??? Well, it’s not heating up the kitchen because it’s out on the back porch! I did this back during my first trimester because I couldn’t handle the smell, but am doing the same now to keep the kitchen cool!!!
1.2 lb of beef shoulder roast ($2.94)
1 Tbsp steak seasonings (free)
1 cup of brown rice ($.40)
2 squash from the garden (free)
Handful of green beans from the garden (free)
Ketchup or A1 steak sauce ($.25)
$1.50 off coupon for organic Rice here 
Note: McCormick spices are free this week at my Kroger…they’re on sale for $1 and there are $.50 coupons that will double, making these free! There is also a $2 A1 steak sauce coupon floating around out there!
1. Place beef roast in slow cooker with 1/2 cup of water. Sprinkle with favorite steak seasonings. Set on low and cook for 8 hours. (Note: Adding a little water to the slow cooker will thin out the juices that can be used as beef stock. I plan to strain the juices (see photo below), let them cool, and place them in a freezer baggie. This homemade beef stock is easy and FREE!)
2. In medium saucepan, add 2 1/2 cups of water and bring to boil. Add 1 cup of brown rice and return water to boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 40-50 minutes. (If using instant brown rice, follow the directions on the box.)
3. Wash and slice squash. Steam in stovetop steamer for 4-5 minutes, or cook for 4-5 minutes in microwaveable bowl covered with plastic wrap.
4. Wash and cut stems off green beans. Steam in same stovetop steamer as the squash, or cook in small saucepan with 1 cup of water for 4-5 minutes (until turn brighter green in color.)
5. Serve Beef Roast with Brown Rice, Steamed Squash and Steamed Green Beans.
Have a Frugal and Healthy Recipe to share?
Post the recipe on your blog and then add the link below. Other guidelines can be found here . To make it easy for other readers to find your recipe, please leave the link that leads directly to your recipe post. Any links that lead to your homepage will be deleted. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to leave your recipe in the comments section!
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/beef-roast-5-dinner-challenge-2/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 here: http://coupons.mambosprouts.com/online_coupons
 here: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2007/01/5-dinner-challenge.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.