This meal reminded me of Chipotle. The jumbo burrito shells. The rice. The meat mixture. The toppings. Wrap it all up. Mmm…
Only difference. This meal cost $5…and a meal for our family at Chipotle would be well over $20!
Well, that. And the spices weren’t quite the same. Just experiment and add whatever zippiness your burritos deserve!
Beef and Black Bean Burritos
1 cup white rice ($.20)
1 pkg. 8 burrito shells ($1.29)
1 lb. ground beef ($1.69) Ground chuck on sale this week!
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups cooked black beans) ($.25)
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes ($.29) Did you see this week’s amazing deal!
2 pkg. taco seasoning (Or make your own taco seasoning here.) ($.20)
1 cup shredded cheese ($.67) Omit if dairy free
Optional: Lettuce, sour cream, salsa, guacamole
2 heads broccoli ($.49) On sale this week!
1. In a small saucepan, cook the 1 cup of rice as indicated on package instructions. Set aside with lid on to keep warm.
2. Warm burrito shells according to package directions.
3. In large skillet, brown the ground beef. Drain, rinse and return to skillet.
4. In the skillet, combine the beef, black beans, diced tomatoes, and seasoning packages. Simmer over medium heat until hot.
5. Spoon the rice and then the meat mixture into warmed burrito shells.
6. Dress with lettuce, shredded cheese, or sour cream as desired. Combine leftovers with some cheese and reheat to make a great dip to eat with tortilla chips or doritos the next day for lunch.
7. Steam broccoli in stovetop steamer or in microwavable bowl with 1/2 cup water covered with plastic wrap for 4-5 minutes.
8. Serve Beef and Black Bean Burritos with Steamed Broccoli.