I don’t know what it is about beans these days, but I’m just cravin’ ’em y’all!
I LOVED eating bean and cheese tacos from Taco Cabana back in my high school days. It’s a shame that Taco Cabana won’t expand their franchise to Dayton. Last I heard they were just in TX…so if you’re listening Taco Cabana people, this pregnant mama NEEDS her Taco C!
But, since the chances of a Taco Cabana sprouting up in Dayton in the next 6 months tomorrow are slim, I decided to do a little experiment and make my own bean and cheese tacos…a healthier version!
Bean and Cheese Tacos
Yield – 6 servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 5 minutes
- 1 bag regular size whole wheat flour tortillas ($1.29)
- 1 15 oz. can vegetarian organic refried beans ($1.42)
- 1 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese ($1.17)
- 1/2 cantaloupe, sliced ($.75) On sale for $1.49 this past week
- 2 apples, peeled and diced ($.50) “Lunchbox” apples still on sale for $.25 each!
- Lay tortillas flat and spread about 1/4 cup of refried beans down the midline of the tortilla. Sprinkle with handful of shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Roll up and place next to each other on dinner plate. Microwave 2-3 minutes, depending on the number of tacos. Microwave longer if necessary, until all the cheese has melted.
- Cut cantaloupe in half and then cut of slices or wedges. Peel and dice apples.
- Serve Bean and Cheese Tacos with Cantaloupe and Apples.
P.S. I have tried several times, UNSUCCESSFULLY, to make my own refried beans from scratch using dried beans, until I finally used my slow cooker!