- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
BBQ Chicken and Cornbread Casserole
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On April 27, 2009 @ 6:39 pm In $5 Dinner Challenge,chicken | 34 Comments
Tonight’s meal is based on this recipe from A Year of Crockpotting ! I threw it all in the crockpot as the boys were eating lunch and put the crockpot outside on the patio to cook for the afternoon. Worked like a charm. Didn’t have to smell it cooking all day and was able to enjoy it for dinner. Because “I didn’t cook it!” Thanks for this great tip Lynn !
About the ingredients…chicken tenderloins were on sale $1.78/lb last week. I had a sweet potato left from the pre-Easter sale ($.49/lb) and found a MONSTER bottle of BBQ sauce that was on sale for $1! There was quite a bit of BBQ sauce leftover in the bottle after I poured out 2 cups worth!
1.3 lb package of chicken tenderloins ($2.31)
1 bag of frozen corn ($.88)
1 small sweet potato ($.40)
About 2 cups of BBQ sauce ($.75)
1 box Jiffy cornbread mix ($.42)
1 egg ($.10)
1/3 cup milk ($.05)
1. Spray bottom of crockpot with cooking spray. Dice chicken tenderloins into bite size pieces and place them in the bottom of the crockpot.
2. Peel and dice sweet potato into 1/2 inch cubes. Add to crockpot and mix in with the chicken and corn.
3. Pour bottle of BBQ sauce over the mixture in the crockpot. Add about 1/4 cup of water and stir through.
4. Prepare Jiffy cornbread mix as directed on box and pour over the top of the BBQ chicken mixture. (I would have made 2 boxes if I had had another on hand.)
5. Set to low and cook for 6 hours.
6. Serve BBQ Chicken Cornbread Casserole. This is a great one dish dinner!
Have a Frugal and Healthy Recipe to share?
Post the recipe on your blog and then add the link below. Other guidelines can be found here . To make it easy for other readers to find your recipe, please leave the link that leads directly to your recipe post. Any links that lead to your homepage will be deleted. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to leave your recipe in the comments section!
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/bbq-chicken-and-cornbread-casserole/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
 this recipe : http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/08/crockpot-barbecued-chicken-and.html
 A Year of Crockpotting: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com
 Lynn: http://www.lynnskitchenadventures.com
 here: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2007/01/5-dinner-challenge.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.