Tonight’s meal is based on this recipe from A Year of Crockpotting ! I threw it all in the crockpot as the boys were eating lunch and put the crockpot outside on the patio to cook for the afternoon. Worked like a charm. Didn’t have to smell it cooking all day and was able to enjoy it for dinner. Because “I didn’t cook it!” Thanks for this great tip Lynn !
About the ingredients…chicken tenderloins were on sale $1.78/lb last week. I had a sweet potato left from the pre-Easter sale ($.49/lb) and found a MONSTER bottle of BBQ sauce that was on sale for $1! There was quite a bit of BBQ sauce leftover in the bottle after I poured out 2 cups worth!
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken and Cornbread Casserole
Adapted from: A Year of Crockpotting 
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 6 hours on low in slow cooker
- 1.3 lb package of chicken tenderloins ($2.31)
- 1 bag of frozen corn ($.88)
- 1 small sweet potato ($.40)
- About 2 cups of BBQ sauce ($.75)
- 1 box Jiffy cornbread mix ($.42)
- 1 egg ($.10)
- 1/3 cup milk ($.05)
- Spray bottom of slow cooker with cooking spray. Dice chicken tenderloins into bite size pieces and place them in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Peel and dice sweet potato into 1/2 inch cubes. Add to slow cooker and mix in with the chicken and corn.
- Pour bottle of BBQ sauce over the mixture in the slow cooker. Add about 1/4 cup of water and stir through.
- Prepare Jiffy cornbread mix as directed on box and pour over the top of the BBQ chicken mixture. (I would have made 2 boxes if I had had another on hand.)
- Set to low and cook for 6 hours.
- Serve BBQ Chicken Cornbread Casserole. This is a great one dish dinner!