So I’m doing a little research today. I wanted to see how the really “dry” GF bread would do as “stuffed french toast”…This recipe is gluten free, casien free, and soy free. (I have added in parenthesis the options using milk and wheat bread.) We’ll see how the boys like it for breakfast tomorrow!
This works beautifully with dried out GF bread.
Banana Stuffed French Toast
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes (+refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight)
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 8-10 slices whole wheat bread (or GF bread)
- 10 eggs
- 1/2 cup rice milk (or 1/2 cup 2% milk)
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 small ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Tear bread and place in bottom of glass 9×13 baking dish.
- In large bowl, whisk eggs, rice milk, apple juice, vanilla, bananas and cinnamon.
- Pour egg mixture over the bread. Cover with foil and refrigerate at least 2 hours (I recommend overnight).
- To cook, remove foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until eggs begin to golden on top.
- Let cool a few minutes before serving. Serve with side of fresh fruit or juice.