Yesterday afternoon, after the big boys and I made a few batches of cookie dough for the freezer, we made the Baked Apple Puff recipe from my friend Michelle’s new cookbook The Whole Family Cookbook: Celebrate the Goodness of Locally Grown Foods.
The boys love to whisk, pour, dump and they especially enjoyed seeing the “puffed” creation as it came out of the oven. It was a lovely, albeit messy, afternoon in the kitchen. But these are the moments in the kitchen that I love and cherish!
I also love that Michelle includes personal details on the recipes…like she raises chickens, and that she has an apple tree in her backyard. Which makes this particular recipe very inexpensive for her to make! While I realize that’s not possible for most people (myself included), it’s certainly inspirational! Be sure to take advantage of all the apple deals at the farmer’s market this summer and coming fall.
Not only did my early reader help with the whisking, he also helped with the reading of the recipe. While I was pulling out ingredients, he was spouting off sight words that he knew from the recipe.
And helper #2 also had to “read” the recipe. And by “reading” he just told me all the different colors that he saw on the recipe. Michelle’s recipes are super colorful. Why?!
On each step in the directions, she has color coded by age. It’s to be used as a guide for those who are making these with their kids.
- 4-6 year olds can crack the eggs
- 2-3 year olds can whisk eggs
- 7-10 year olds can melt the margarine in the microwave
I find that especially helpful…as it gives me a sense of what new skills I should be teaching the boys in the kitchen!
Too bad I didn’t have my camera ready to catch it all “puffed up!”
Baked Apple Puff
Adapted from The Whole Family Cookbook to make it gluten free and dairy free!
- 5 Tbsp dairy free margarine, divided
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 3 Tbsp sugar, divided
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 2 small apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- Preheat oven to 450. Melt 2 Tbsp margarine or butter.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, add the melted butter, milk, 2 Tbsp sugar, vanilla, 1 tsp of cinnamon, salt and brown rice flour. Whisk until smooth batter forms.
- In an ovenproof skillet, melt the other 3 Tbsp margarine or butter. Add the apple slices and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1 Tbsp sugar, to use as a topping.
- Pour the batter over the cooked apples and then sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar topping over top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. Will be nice and puffy tall when you take it out of the oven!
- Slice and serve.