- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On October 20, 2009 @ 5:41 pm In Beef,Dairy Free,Gluten Free,Recipes,Soup | 4 Comments
Kristie sent me this super easy and “throw together” recipe for Bachelor Stew.
1 lb ground beef (Kroger had it for 1.97/lb where I live)
1 can of Vegetable Soup
1 can of Ranch Style Beans ($.79)
1 box of Corn Bread ($.44)
Since the cans of vegetable soups that I checked out all had potatoes (which my oldest is allergic to!), I decided to forgo using the can and just add some frozen veggies in with some canned tomatoes to give the same flavor. And I used some frozen pinto beans from a big batch instead, added a dash of salsa and we’ll call them Ranch Style Beans!
“Mommi-fied” Bachelor Stew
1 lb. ground beef ($1.39) On sale this week!
1/2 small yellow onion ($.15)
1 tsp garlic powder ($.05)
Salt and pepper
1 celery stalk, chopped, about 1 cup ($.10)
1 cup frozen peas and carrots ($.33)
1 1/2 cup pinto beans ($.15)
8 green beans (the last from the garden) Substitute with 1 cup frozen green beans
1 can stewed tomatoes ($.66)
1 can tomato paste ($.19) Used coupon !
1 cup salsa ($.50)
1 3/4 cups yellow cornmeal ($.50)
1/2 cup flour ($.10)
1 Tbsp baking powder ($.05)
2 Tbsp sugar ($.05)
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp canola oil ($.10)
2 eggs ($.20)
1 cup milk ($.10) Use rice milk to stay dairy-free!
Make a gluten free version of the cornbread for GF meal.
1. In large saucepan, brown ground beef with chopped onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Drain and rinse. Return to saucepan.
2. Add the remaining soup ingredients to the ground beef plus 2 cups of water. Stir together and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
3. While simmering, make the cornbread. Preheat oven to 400 and grease an 8×8-inch baking dish.
4. In mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, powder and salt. Whisk in the oil, eggs and milk until batter forms. Pour into greased baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 16-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean in the middle. Serve hot with butter and honey.
5. Serve Bachelor Stew with Cornbread.
Cost $5.12 with LOTS of leftovers!
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/bachelor-stew/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 coupon: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2009/10/11-muir-glen-coupon.html
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.