- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Alea’s Asian Chicken Salad with Quinoa
Posted By Alea On April 24, 2012 @ 5:00 pm In Casein Free,chicken,Chinese,Dairy Free,Gluten Free,Quinoa,Recipes | 6 Comments
I love Asian chicken Salad. It is second only to chocolate on my list of favorites. I enjoy trying new variations and often experiment with it at home. When I discovered quinoa while going through my pantry, I knew I had to try it in an Asian Chicken Salad. Quinoa, with its nutty flavor and crunchy texture, is a natural addition to Asian Chicken Salad. In this easy recipe, I used quinoa to replace both the nuts and the noodles that are often included in Asian Chicken Salad.
I save money on quinoa by buying it from the bulk section. It is fast and easy to prepare. You cook quinoa for 10 – 15 minutes or until the germ separates from the seed. The germ has a slight curl to it, so when you remove the lid and see lots of little curlicues, don’t panic.
Adapted from Asian Coleslaw 
Yield – 8 servings
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 minutes (this also requires 2 hours of refrigeration to serve it chilled)
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 head of cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 cups julienned carrots
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 sweet pepper, diced
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1/4 cup almond butter (or peanut butter or sunflower seed butter)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce ( I use Bragg’s Liquid Aminos to make this gf)
- 2 tablespoons apple juice (or white grape juice)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger (tip for saving money on grated ginger )
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Add quinoa and water to a pot. Cook over a medium-high flame until it reaches a boil. Lower flame, cover and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes or until germ separates from the seed.
- While the quinoa is cooking, dice the vegetables and chicken.
- In a glass bowl, combine almond butter and honey. Microwave for 20 seconds to soften the almond butter. Add the vinegar, juice, oil, ginger, and garlic powder. Use a whisk to thoroughly combine the ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, peppers, onions, and quinoa. Toss to thoroughly combine.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to thoroughly coat.
- Refrigerate for approximately 2 hours before serving.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/asian-chicken-salad-with-quinoa/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 Asian Coleslaw: http://premeditatedleftovers.com/asian-coleslaw/
 grated ginger: http://premeditatedleftovers.com/freezing-ginger-to-reduce-waste/
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.