The other night my 5 year old Liza wanted to “cook” dinner by herself. I thought for a minute, and decided yes with appropriate supervision, of course. The easiest recipe I know is also pretty darn frugal.
Just use whatever meat, cheese and dressing you have on hand! And, yes, Liza made the entire thing, except for putting it in the oven. The Italian loaf was good, but her self esteem is priceless! (The preparation time noted is when I do it. Children will take much much longer!)
Stuffed Italian Loaf
Yield – 9 servings
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 20-25 minutes
- 2 cans of refrigerated pizza dough (or make your own homemade pizza dough here!)
- 1 package of pepperoni
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 tsp Italian seasoning
- 8 tbs Thousand Island Dressing
- 12 slices thinly sliced Provolone Cheese
- Unroll store bought dough onto 2 pre-greased pans or make your own pizza dough and place on greased pans
- Sprinkle 1 tsp Italian seasoning over each dough
- Smear 4 Tbs dressing on each dough
- Lay 6 slices of cheese on each
- Top with peperoni to cover
- Add 1.5 cups shredded cheese on top of each
- Roll into a log, patting ends down securely
- Top with remaining tsp of Italian seasoning
- Bake at 350 for 20 -25 minutes, until top of loaf is browned.
- Slice & serve!