Breakfast for dinner serves a wonderful dual purpose. It’s cheaper than normal dinners and kids love the change. The scrambled egg pockets have a unique twist to traditional eggs and the ingredients are healthy, so I feel good giving it to my family for dinner. I did learn the hard way to really look at which ingredients I buy. This calls for plain greek yogurt, and the first time I bought & used vanilla yogurt. Big mistake! LOL. I got it right the 2nd time and it made a world of difference. Everybody was happy and I had 7 full tummies after dinner. This recipe is also very adaptable for different bread types and ingredients added to the eggs. Change it up!
Some of the things I did to make this meal even more frugal, is to use coupons, buy pitas on the 40% rack of breads at Wal-mart, and bought 2 individual yogurts instead of a tub.
Angie’s Scrambled Egg Pockets
Yield – 8 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 10 minutes
- 8 pita pockets
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1.5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp butter
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp parsley flakes
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese, your favorite kind
- Scramble the butter, eggs and cheese together.
- Warm the pitas in the microwave for 20 seconds, a few at a time, under a damp paper towel.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Add the eggs to the yogurt sauce, mix and insert into pitas.