The other night all of the kids wanted something different for dinner. The majority of them finally decided on egg salad and french fries. Whoa, my OCD was having problems with that. Egg salad and fries just don’t “go” together. The kiddos were pretty persuasive. And they were right. We tend to group foods together that we always fix at the same time. There’s nothing wrong with mixing it up a little and having some non traditional dinners. So, egg salad and french fries it was. And it was delicious.
The fries are really fun and easy to make.
Fiesta Ranch Baked French Fries
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 45 minutes
- Potatoes – (The amount varies on how many fries you want. Generally I would say 1 potato per person, but my kids love fries, so I used 9 for the 7 of us.)
- Vegetable oil – 3 tbs
- Herbs – whatever you happen to like. For 1 batch I used garlic salt, rosemary, and parsley. For the 2nd batch I used a ranch dip mix for my boys who like things spicy! (Or use Erin’s homemade ranch mix!)
- Peel potatoes and slice into wedges
- Put the wedges into a gallon ziplock bag and add the oil.
- Add your spices or herbs and shake shake shake. (since I made 2 batches, I put a little more than ½ of the potatoes in and 2 tbsp oil and the herbs in first. The next batch was the rest of the wedges and the package of fiesta ranch dip mix.)
- Put in a baking pan and bake for 45 minutes at 350.
The fries come out so tasty most of us don’t even use ketchup! So, keep an open mind the next time some odd requests are made for dinner. Although, I might have to draw the line if they ever start coming up with matches like fish sticks and waffles.
What have you put on the dinner table recently that just doesn’t “go together”?!