This was one of those dinners that, well, evolved, as I was working on it. I had all intentions of just making your basic french toast. But then I opened the baking cabinet to add a touch of vanilla to the eggs and milk. And the bag of almonds practically fell off the shelf. And nothing goes better with vanilla than almonds.
So…I ground them up, added them to the eggs/milk and that’s that.
And just to show you what it looks like on the counter when I’m dreaming up new recipes. It’s high tech, really.
Scrap paper and a broken green crayon! Glamorous, huh?!?
Almond Vanilla French Toast
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 minutes
- 4 eggs ($.40)
- 2/3 cup milk ($.10) I used rice milk to keep them dairy free.
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (free!)
- 1 Tbsp vanilla ($.10) (or use homemade vanilla extract!)
- 1/3 cup ground almonds ($.50) Look for sale prices around $2/lb!
- 12 slices bread ($.60)
- 8 eggs, scrambled ($.80)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 pineapple, diced (How to Select and Cut a Pineapple) ($1)
- 1/4 cantaloupe, diced ($.50)
- In mixing bowl, whisk eggs, milk, maple syrup, vanilla and ground almonds.
- Dip bread into mixture.
Note: Be sure to stir up the mixture before dipping each bread, as the almonds will sink between dippings! Stir it up so that each slice will have a nice almond-y flavor!!!
- Place double dipped bread slices onto griddle. I set my griddle at 300°.
- Cook to perfection.
- Scramble eggs. Cut pineapple and cantaloupe.
- Serve Almond Vanilla French Toast with Scrambled Eggs and Fruit.
**Note: I actually made this a few weekends ago and saved it to post after baby was born!