July 4th Muffins….Red, White and Blue!
I used my Fruit and Veggie Muffin recipe as a base for these muffins. Then I topped them with an almond struesel!
Almond, Raspberry and Blueberry Muffins
Yield – Makes 12 regular sized muffins.
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 minutes
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar + 1/3 cup brown sugar, divided
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon + 1 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- In stand mixer or mixing bowl, stir eggs, oil, applesauce, white sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. Add baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, wheat flour and white flour. Mix until batter forms and is no longer lumpy. Add blueberries and raspberries.
- Carefully fold in blueberries and raspberries with plastic spatula.
- In small bowl, mix ground almonds, 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter or margarine.
- Add batter to muffin cups and top each muffin cup with 1 tsp of almond streusel.
- Bake at 350 F for 15-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool on cooling rack. Serve warm with butter.