- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Alea’s Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Posted By Alea On July 9, 2013 @ 5:00 pm In Beef,Crock Pot,Dairy Free,Gluten Free,Potatoes,Recipes,Slow Cooker | No Comments
We have been alternating between high temperatures and flash floods. Every time it rains, I want comfort foods like pot roast and potatoes. But it is so hot that I don’t want to turn on the oven.
My slow cooker once again came to my rescue! I love that is allows me to cook family favorites without heating up the house.
When I make my pot roast, I put the vegetables around the roast, rather than under it. I like a little bite to my vegetables and this keeps them from becoming too mushy. I just rotate the vegetables every 2 -3 hours, so they cook more evenly. If you don’t rotate them the veggies on bottom tend to become too soft and the ones on top are a little too firm.
Alea’s Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Yield – 8 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 7 – 8 hours
- 2 lb. beef roast
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 pound potatoes, washed and chopped
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 -6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt (homemade seasoned salt recipe )
- coarse ground pepper
- Place a little broth in the bottom of the slow cooker. then place the roast in the slow cooker.
- Place the carrots, potatoes, and onions around the roast.
- Pour the rest of the broth over the meat and veggies.
- Sprinkle the garlic and spices over the roast and veggies.
- Cook on high for 7 – 8 hours. Every couple hours, I rotate the vegetables so they cook more evenly.
How to Make Gravy in a Slow Cooker:
You can make a gravy directly in the slow cooker. Remove the meat and vegetables. Spoon 1/2 cup of the drippings into a small bowl. Add 1/4 cup of cornstarch to the drippings and stir to make a paste. Add the paste back into the slow cooker. Use a whisk to thoroughly combine it with the rest of the drippings. Cook on high, stirring occasionally, until it reaches a boil. Place it in a gravy bowl and serve over your pot roast and vegetables.
Are you using your slow cooker to keep the kitchen cool this summer?
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/aleas-slow-cooker-pot-roast/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 homemade seasoned salt recipe: http://premeditatedleftovers.com/how-to-make-a-substitute-for-herbamare-at-home-seasoned-salt-recipe/
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.