- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Alea’s Shepherd’s Pie
Posted By Alea On December 27, 2012 @ 5:00 pm In Beef,Gluten Free,Potatoes,Recipes | 4 Comments
This recipe is fast and easy to prepare, especially if you use leftovers from your holiday dinners. Shepherd’s Pie is often made using ground beef, but it is an especially delicious way to use up leftover roast. You can also use leftover vegetables and top it with leftover mashed potatoes if you have them on hand.
If you don’t have leftover mashed potatoes, make mashed potatoes using 4 potatoes and your favorite recipe. I used my Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe  on top of the Shepherd’s Pie.
Using leftover gravy adds a special depth to this recipe. If you don’t have leftover gravy, you can make a fast and easy cheater gravy and use it instead.
Cheater Beef Gravy
You can use leftover vegetables if you have them available, if not use a one pound bag of mixed vegetables. I like corn, peas, carrots and green beans in my Shepherd’s Pie, but it is good with any number of vegetable combinations.
Alea’s Shepherd’s Pie
Yield – 8 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 2 cups diced roast beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 – 3 1/2 cups leftover veggies (or 1 pound mixed frozen vegetables)
- 1 cup gravy (or use recipe above)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 – 6 cups mashed potatoes
- parsley or cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a 9 x 13 casserole dish, combine roast, onion, and vegetables.
- In a small bowl, mix gravy, diced tomatoes, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Pour gravy mixture over the meat and vegetables.
- Spread mashed potatoes over the meat and vegetables.
- Sprinkle parsley or cheddar cheese over the top of the mashed potatoes.
- Bake at 375 for 25 – 30 minutes or until the top begins to brown.
How are you using up your holiday leftovers?
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/aleas-shepherds-pie/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe: http://premeditatedleftovers.com/garlic-mashed-potatoes-dairy-free/
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.