I keep thinking my life is going to slow down and I am going to get my family on a lovely schedule. I am not sure if I hang on to this vision because I am optimistic or delusional. While I would love to have orderly evenings with plenty of time to cook three course meals, it isn’t happening. So on busy nights I content myself with feeding my family “Real Fast Food” – meals that are made of real ingredients and that come together faster than the local pizza company can deliver pizza.
If I make time on one day to Batch Grill or Batch Broil some chicken, it allows me to put together a satisfying salad in a short amount of time. I also wash my greens as soon as I bring them in from the garden or home from the store, so I don’t have to waste precious minutes washing and drying veggies with four pair of starving eyes staring at me.
Orange Spinach Salad with Orange Mustard Vinaigrette
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time - 15 minutes
Cooking Time - none, if you use leftover chicken
- 6 – 8 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 oranges, peeled and cut in segments
- 1/2 lb. cooked chicken, diced
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 3 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Zest one of the oranges. Then juice that orange. Place the zest and juice to a small bowl. Add vinegar, oil, mustard, and honey. Use a whisk to blend.
- Peel the other orange. Separate the segments, then slice each segment into 4 pieces.
- Add oranges pieces, spinach, chicken and onions to a large bowl and toss.
- Divide the salads between serving dishes. Pour dressing over the top and sprinkle with almonds.
If you have any dressing leftover, you can use it as a marinade.