I keep thinking my life is going to slow down and I am going to get my family on a lovely schedule. I am not sure if I hang on to this vision because I am optimistic or delusional. While I would love to have orderly evenings with plenty of time to cook three course meals, it isn’t happening. So on busy nights I content myself with feeding my family “Real Fast Food” – meals that are made of real ingredients and that come together faster than the local pizza company can deliver pizza.
If I make time on one day to Batch Grill or Batch Broil some chicken, it allows me to put together a satisfying salad in a short amount of time. I also wash my greens as soon as I bring them in from the garden or home from the store, so I don’t have to waste precious minutes washing and drying veggies with four pair of starving eyes staring at me.
This recipe is great for repurposing leftover Orange Sesame Chicken!
Orange Spinach Salad with Orange Mustard Vinaigrette
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time - 15 minutes
Cooking Time - none, if you use leftover chicken
- 6 – 8 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 oranges, peeled and cut in segments
- 1/2 lb. cooked chicken, diced
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 3 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Zest one of the oranges. Then juice that orange. Place the zest and juice to a small bowl. Add vinegar, oil, mustard, and honey. Use a whisk to blend.
- Peel the other orange. Separate the segments, then slice each segment into 4 pieces.
- Add oranges pieces, spinach, chicken and onions to a large bowl and toss.
- Divide the salads between serving dishes. Pour dressing over the top and sprinkle with almonds.
If you have any dressing leftover, you can use it as a marinade.