- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Alea’s Ginger, Sweet Potato and Bean Soup
Posted By Alea On October 23, 2012 @ 5:00 pm In Beans,Casein Free,Dairy Free,Recipes,rice,Soup,vegetarian | 7 Comments
I know sweet potatoes and beans combined with Asian seasonings sounds like a crazy combination. You are just going to have to trust me on this. This soup is seriously delicious!
It is also fast and easy to make, filling, and frugal.
I pulled this soup together in under 20 minutes. I was able to do that because I had cooked rice on hand. If you don’t have cooked rice you can add 1 cup uncooked basmati rice and an additional 2 cups of liquid and let the rice cook while you are making the soup, but you will want to let the rice get a 5 – 10 minute head start before you add the sweet potatoes.
If you don’t have mirin in your pantry, you can substitute a sweet juice like white grape juice or apple juice. You can save money on mirin, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame seed oil by shopping at an Asian market. 
Ginger, Sweet Potato and Bean Soup
Adapted from Asian Chicken and Rice Soup 
Yield – 8 servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 minutes
- 8 cups vegetable broth (How to Make Vegetable Broth )
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (use Bragg’s Liquid Aminos to make this gfree)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mirin (or grape juice)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil (optional)
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 – 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger (Frugal Tip for Ginger )
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 3/4 cups or 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 3/4 cups or 15 oz. can navy beans
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 -3 cups raw spinach
- Put broth, soy sauce, rice vinegar, mirin, sesame seed oil, onion, garlic, and ginger in a large pot. Add sweet potatoes. Cook over a medium-high flame until the broth begins to boil.
- Lower flame and simmer for 5 minutes or until sweet potatoes are fork-tender.
- Add beans and rice and cook for 2 – 3 minutes until rice and beans are heated through.
- Add spinach and cook until just wilted. Serve immediately.
I served the Ginger Sweet Potato and Black Bean Soup with a garden salad.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/aleas-ginger-sweet-potato-and-bean-soup/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
 shopping at an Asian market.: http://premeditatedleftovers.com/ethnic-markets-fascinating-food-fantastic-bargains/
 Asian Chicken and Rice Soup: http://premeditatedleftovers.com/asian-chicken-and-rice-soup/
 How to Make Vegetable Broth: http://premeditatedleftovers.com/how-to-make-vegetable-broth-in-a-slow-cooker/
 Frugal Tip for Ginger: http://premeditatedleftovers.com/freezing-ginger-to-reduce-waste/
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.