- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Alea’s Cilantro-Lime Chicken with Chimichurri Sauce
Posted By Alea On July 12, 2011 @ 6:06 pm In Casein Free,chicken,Dairy Free,Gluten Free,Recipes | 3 Comments
Chimichurri Sauce is a traditional Argentinian sauce. It is the consistency of pesto and is usually served over grilled steak. But I serve it over everything I can because it is a great way to use up surplus parsley and cilantro. I dial down the heat on this sauce for my children, but you can make it hotter by substituting a hot pepper for the bell pepper.
I love when the garden is in full production. Having a frugal source of fresh veggies and herbs allows me to either save money on groceries or splurge and stock up on organic, free-range chicken when it goes on sale. Guess what I chose?
Cilantro-Lime Chicken with Chimichurri Sauce
Yield - 6 servings
Preparation Time - 15 minutes + 2 hours of marinating
Cooking Time - 45 minutes
Cilantro-Lime Chicken Ingredients
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken thighs ($2.98 organic, free-range)
- juice and zest of one lime ($.07 use this tip when limes are on sale )
- 2 tablespoons olive oil ($.34)
- 2 tablespoons apple juice ($.12 organic)
- 2 tablespoons diced bell pepper ($.o6 peppers on sale for .33)
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced (garden)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (garden)
- In a small bowl, lime juice, lime zest, olive oil, apple juice, bell pepper, cilantro, and garlice. Mix well.
- Place chicken thighs in an oven safe pan, pour marinade over them and turn to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place chicken in the oven with the ugly side up. cook for 15 minutes. Flip the chicken pieces over and cook for another 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Optional: After cooking for for a total of 30 minutes in the oven, you can place the thighs on the grill for 5 minutes each side or until juices run clear to add a nice smoky flavor. Or you could cook them entirely on the grill, but I rarely do.
- Serve with Chimichurri Sauce on top.
Chimichurri Sauce Ingredients
- 1 cup loosely packed parsley leaves (garden)
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves (garden)
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped (garden)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil ($.34)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar ($.o8 apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (garden)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano (garden)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (garden)
- 2 cloves garlic (garden)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder ($.04)
- pinch of salt ($.01)
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Spoon chimichurri sauce over cooked chicken.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/aleas-cilantro-lime-chicken-with-chimichurri-sauce/
URLs in this post:
 in your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/subscribe-to-free-email-updates
 in your feed reader: http://feeds.feedblitz.com/5dinners
 follow the $5 Dinners adventures on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/5dollardinners
 Facebook too: http://www.facebook.com/5dollardinnersfans
 use this tip when limes are on sale: http://premeditatedleftovers.com/freezing-lemon-and-lime-juice-with-zest/
 Summer Squash with Herbs: http://premeditatedleftovers.com/summer-squash-with-herbs/
 Basmati Rice with Onion and Garlic: http://premeditatedleftovers.com/basmati-rice-with-onion-and-garlic/
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.