- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Alea’s Asian Chicken Skillet
Posted By Alea On January 10, 2012 @ 5:20 pm In chicken,Chinese,Dairy Free,Gluten Free,Recipes,rice,Skillet Dinners | 11 Comments
My family loves stir-frys. And I really appreciate how quickly they come together. However, some days I feel like using one pan for rice and another pan for the stir-fry is one pan too many when it comes time to clean up. It’s not because I am lazy… oh who am I kidding? It’s totally because I am lazy! This recipe combines our favorite Asian flavors in one easy skillet dish.
I used white basmati rice, which cooks in about 20 minutes. If you use a different rice, use one with a similar cooking time. The recipe calls for chicken broth. I make chicken broth in a slow cooker  to stretch my grocery budget a little further. If you do not have chicken broth, you can substitute vegetable broth  or water.
I added sesame seeds to this recipe. I save money on sesame seeds by buying them from the bulk section of our grocery store. I can buy a pound of sesame seeds for less than the price of a bottle of seeds in the spice section.
Asian Chicken Skillet
Yield – 4 -6 servings
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 25 minutes
- 3/4 lb. chicken cut into bite size pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, mined
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup soy sauce ( I use gluten-free soy sauce)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup honey or sugar
- 3 tablespoons grated ginger (tip for freezing leftover ginger )
- 1 cup white basmati rice
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds (optional)
- 2 cups broccoli, finely chopped
- Brown chicken in a large skillet with a lid.
- While the chicken is browning, mix the vinegar, oil, soy sauce, honey, and ginger together in a small bowl.
- Add the rest of the veggies, except for the broccoli. Add the rice, sesame seeds, sauce, and broth. Cook over a medium-high flame until it reaches a boil.
- Lower flame, place lid on pan and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add broccoli and simmer for an additional 5 minutes or until liquid is cooked off.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
I like to serve this on a bed of greens. The sauce from the Asian Chicken Skillet drips down and serves as a dressing for the greens.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/aleas-asian-chicken-skillet/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
 make chicken broth in a slow cooker: http://premeditatedleftovers.com/making-chicken-broth-in-a-slow-cooker/
 vegetable broth: http://premeditatedleftovers.com/how-to-make-vegetable-broth-in-a-slow-cooker/
 tip for freezing leftover ginger: http://premeditatedleftovers.com/freezing-ginger-to-reduce-waste/
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.