- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
Alea’s Asian Chicken Salad Wraps
Posted By Alea On April 9, 2013 @ 5:00 pm In chicken,Gluten Free,Lunch,Recipes | 3 Comments
I love, love, love me some Asian Chicken Salad! I could eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And I have. Now, I’ve made it easier to take my favorite meal on the go by placing it in a wrap.
There are a couple of steps to making this wrap from scratch. You can save time by making the salad and the wrap spread while the chicken is broiling. You can reduce the prep time further by using leftover cooked chicken.
I make the spread for my wraps by mixing yogurt and dressing. It is a flavorful, low-fat substitute for mayonnaise and you can tailor the flavor to match the ingredients.
I use cabbage in my wraps because it stays crisp even if it is soaked in dressing for hours. That means I can pack the wrap in my husband’s lunch the night before and it is still crunchy the next day at lunch time.
Asian Chicken Salad Wraps
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 10 minutes
- 1 chicken breast or 2 chicken thighs
- 4 large or 6 medium tortillas (I use brown rice wraps to make this gf)
Asian Dressing Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (I use Bragg’s Liquid Aminos to make this gf)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons oil ( I used 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon sesame oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup julienned carrots
- 1/2 cup peppers, diced ( I used red because they were on sale)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (including the green tops)
Wrap Spread Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon Asian Salad Dressing
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon honey (optional)
- Place the peanut butter in a glass bowl.
- Microwave for 20 seconds to soften the peanut butter.
- Add the vinegar, water, oil, ginger, and garlic powder.
- Use a whisk to thoroughly combine the ingredients.
- Spoon 1 – 2 tablespoons of the dressing over the chicken.
- Place the chicken 4 inches from the flame in the broiler and cook for 4 –6 minutes (check after 4 minutes to see if the skin is looking crispy). Flip, then cook for another 4 – 6 minutes or until it is cooked through and the juices run clear.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, honey and 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon dressing.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, cabbage, carrots, peppers, and onions. Toss to thoroughly combine.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to thoroughly coat.
- Spread yogurt mixture over a tortilla. Using a slotted spoon, place chicken salad on top of the tortilla. Fold the tortilla around the salad.
- Repeat until you have filled all of the tortillas.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/aleas-asian-chicken-salad-wraps/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.