Fajita filling usually consists of meat, peppers, and onions. However, I don’t see any reason to stick to traditional ingredients, especially when my kids are not crazy about peppers. I do like the color of traditional fajitas and try to include the same colors using vegetables from my garden. I replace some of the peppers with yellow squash and tomato. One of my children will still pick the bell pepper pieces out, but with this variation there are still other ingredients left in the fajita when he is done. 🙂
I always use corn tortillas. While flour tortillas are more flexible, corn tortillas are less expensive, more flavorful, and also have fewer calories.
Grilled Chicken and Vegetable Fajitas
Yield – 4 – 6 servings
Preparation Time – 15 minutes ( plus 2 hours of marinating)
Cooking Time – 20 minutes
- juice and zest of 2 limes (use this tip when limes are on sale)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 – 1 pound chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 bell peppers (or colored sweet peppers), cut in thin strips
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut in thin strips
- 1 large onion, cut in thin slices
- 1 large tomato, cut in thin strips
- 8 tortillas
- In a small bowl mix all of the marinade ingredients together.
- Place chicken in a container with lid. Pour half of the marinade over the chicken. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Place the chopped vegetables in a container with lid. Pour the remaining marinade over the veggies. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Light the grill about 15 minutes before the chicken and vegetables are done marinating. Place the chicken on the grill about 4 inches from flame and cook for 8 – 10 minutes on each side, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Place the vegetables on a grilling tray or on foil. Cook for 6 -8 minutes, Stirring occasionally.
- Place tortillas on a plate, cover with a cloth, and microwave for 1 – 2 minutes depending on the strength of microwave.
- Slice the cooked chicken in thin strips. Mix with the vegetables. Spoon fajita mixture into tortillas.