- Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™ - http://www.5dollardinners.com -
A1 Beef Stew
Posted By Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom On October 1, 2009 @ 5:37 pm In Beef,Dairy Free,Freezer Friendly,Gluten Free,Recipes,rice,Soup | 21 Comments
This was the perfect meal to come home to after an afternoon adventure/walk to the park! It was just cold enough outside to be chilly, but not so cold that we didn’t enjoy ourselves! Arriving home to this soup was lovely!
Warmed our tummies right up!
Here is the “doubled” version of the recipe! The total cost is not under $5…but since it is two meals worth…we divide by 2 and the overall cost is well below $5 per meal. The other half is going into the freezer!
A1 Beef Stew
Yield – 8 servings
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 75 minutes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil ($.20)
- 1.7 lb. stew beef ($4.77) 2 packages both purchased on Manager’s Special
- 10 cups water
- 4 large carrots, peeled and diced ($.40)
- 4 stalks celery, diced ($.20)
- 1 onion, chopped ($.30)
- 2 cups frozen Italian style green beans ($.50) On sale for $1/4 cups last week!1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes ($.59)
- 2 tsp rice or white vinegar ($.05)
- 1 5 oz. bottle A1 steak sauce ($.29) Used $2 coupon to buy the bottle!
- 2 cups brown rice ($.80)
- Served with garlic toast ($.50) Used “reduced for quick sale” mini French loaves I had in the freezer. Plus butter/margarine/dairy-free margarine and garlic powder/salt. Omit bread or serve alternative if GF.
- In large pot, heat the oil. Add the stew meat and sear/brown on all sides to seal in the juices. Once the meat has browned, add 10 cups of water.
- Add diced carrots, diced celery, chopped onion, diced tomatoes and brown rice. Add vinegar and bottle of A1 steak sauce. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer over medium heat for 50-60 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Slice French loaf bread and butter and sprinkle with garlic powder and salt (or garlic salt.) Place on baking sheet in oven at 350 and “toast” for 4-5 minutes.
- Serve A1 Beef Stew with Garlic Bread.
Cost $7.51 for the double batch of stew…$4.28 for our meal tonight.
Article printed from Recipes, Printable Coupons | $5 Dinners™: http://www.5dollardinners.com
URL to article: http://www.5dollardinners.com/a1-beef-stew-2/
URLs in this post:
 right into your inbox: http://www.5dollardinners.com/contact/get-emails
 get meal plans delivered to you each week: http://www.5dollarmealplan.com
Copyright © 2011 $5 Dinners™. All rights reserved.