72 Reasons Why I’ve Been MIA Lately

Behind the scenes peak. So this is my June 2012 photos folder for the blog in Photoshop.

The only food I’ve taken photos of in all of June were these Chicken Pineapple Kebabs. And I’ll confess that Steve assembled them and cooked them. And I just took the photos.

So why haven’t I been cooking?

There’s really only one reason that a food blogger (who really really really really really loves to share fun food ideas and recipes with everyone, as I do!) doesn’t blog about food.

• She’s tired.
  • Her taste buds aren’t working right.
  • She finds herself in bed for upwards of 12 hours a day.
  • Her stomach isn’t functioning normally.
  • She can’t bring herself to even look at Pinterest, because there is food everywhere.
  • She can’t eat some days and is ravenous other days.

And all these symptoms point to one thing.

First trimester of pregnancy.

Yep.

That’s right.

We are expecting #4 in mid-January. That puts me at about 11 weeks pregnant…which hopefully means only 1-2 more weeks of the “blech” feelings…then we’ll be back to normal, back in the kitchen, back to cooking and back to blogging!

In the meantime, I’m counting on my amazing contributors and some guest posts to get us through this phase!

So maybe that wasn’t really 72 reasons that I’ve been MIA…but it feels like I have 72 reasons!

Now for the FAQ that I know you’re thinking about (and I’ve already been asked quite a few times since sharing with family, church family and friends)…

So you have three boys, are you hoping for a girl?

No gonna lie. Yes.

I would LOVE a little estrogen around my house. I would love some girl drama. And I would love for the boys to have a little sister.

But, at the same time…it would certainly be easier to have another boy, as we’ve got all the clothes, toys, decor and rough and tumble kinda household already going on. So adding a little more testosterone wouldn’t be terrible!

In the end, we are thrilled to be expecting “Cuatro” (as we’ve started calling baby until we find out if it’s a boy or girl) and pray for a healthy baby and delivery!

Is this pregnancy similar to past ones, does it feel different?

Yes and no. It’s amazing how you forget what it feels like and how miserable it can be at times, but it’s all come flooding back now that I’m in the middle of it. I have very similar nausea, cravings and aversions…but the fatigue this time around is kicking my tail. The part about upwards of 12 hours in bed…total truth. I’d say that 5 of 7 days each week, I’m flat on my back for at least 12 hours. Usually 10 at night and 2 hours rest or nap in the middle of the day. This has obviously done a number on my productivity, work and blogging…but it will not last much longer and I’m taking care of myself and baby…which is utmost importance! But, I long for the day when the “light switch” will flip and I’ll get that boost of energy and won’t have to take my nausea medicine any longer! Shouldn’t be too much longer…

Are you planning on having more?

No. My husband and I have always wanted 4 children and we are so blessed by the three we have and Cuatro on the way too. We feel this will be it for our family.

Your third book is coming out in September, are you still gonna travel around and do book signings?

You bet! Big travel months for me will be in September and October to promote the book, and I’ll be all over the place. We are just starting to plan the locations and stops (feel free to make requests below!). Seeing as how I traveled with Tyler when he was 2 and 3 months old for my second book, I’m thrilled that I can travel this time around with Cuatro safely tucked inside. Much, much easier this time around!

So have at it…guesses on boy or girl? Name suggestions? Cities for my book tour? Would love to know your thoughts!!!

Comments

1. Christina says

Wow! Congratulations!! :-)

I would LOVE if you came to Metro Detroit (the downriver area!) or even Toledo, OH.

2. erin key says

Congrats!! & if you do have a boy, you could name him Cort. I have a friend who did that I think it is sooo cute!!

3. Karen says

Congratulations! We have three girls and a boy. We were just expecting another girl but were surprised with a boy. Best wishes on a healthy pregnancy!

4. Sarah Lenhart says

Congratulations! That’s awesome! I had a suspicion when I saw that you aren’t eating chocolate. :)

5. claire says

Please join us in Buffalo NY for your book tour! Congrats on the pregnancy. Oh, my, I know how you have been feeling. I am at 19 weeks of mine & i couldnt think about food or the computerd the first 15 weeks. This is #7 for us 5 boys & 1 girl, she was #6. Hope God gives you a girl. Every Mom needs at least 1. LOL.

6. Caroline says

Congratulations! I wish you a very happy and healthy pregnancy.

I have 4 children and about 14 months ago I was in the same place as you–3 boys, pregnant, would kinda like a girl. And baby #4 was — another boy! It’s funny because as soon as I heard it was a boy my desire for a girl disappeared. Boys are awesome and, of course, it’s great that they all have each other.

Congratulations and enjoy!

7. Trinity says

Congratulations!! No name ideas here. My hubby and I were very grateful our little one is a girl, we couldn’t come up with any boy names we liked!

But I’m casting my vote for Eugene, Oregon!!! :)

8. Beth says

Congratulations! I had 3 boys and didn’t find out for the 4th partly because I “knew” it was a boy. I was completely baffled when SHE came out! We ended up naming her Ivy since she was number 4 (get it, Roman numeral for 4 IV). Anyhow, I love her dearly but it would have been kinda cool to remain the queen! I have been totally dethroned!

Congratulations! It sounds like you have a great perspective on this whole thing.

I had 3 girls and then a boy and a friend of mine had 3 boys and then a girl, so anything is possible! Praying that you feel better soon and that you will have a safe and easy pregnancy and delivery!

10. Lauren says

I have been wondering where you have been . . . . but this makes it totally understandable! Congratulations and best of luck for an easy and happy pregnancy.

Congratulations – that’s fabulous! I’m remembering the trauma of trying to come up with THE perfect name when we found out we were having a girl. After weeks of agonizing and flip-flopping, we thought we had it all figured out. The day our daughter was born, EVERY choice flew out the window, and we ended up naming her something we hadn’t even considered beforehand. And so glad we did – her name fits her perfectly!

Stay healthy – and enjoy your pregnancy (as much as possible, anyway)!

Best wishes to you and the whole family!!!

12. Ann says

Erin,
    Congrats!! I just thought you were busy with the move. Are you still planning on the move down here to Texas?? Hope so! Hope you will soon be back to normal, with lots of energy to keep up with the boys!!

13. Melissa says

Congrats Erin!! I’m due mid december with my first. I’ve been following your blog for years and i appreciate all of your money saving tips!!

14. Kristine Griffis says

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy for you!!!!!!! Can’t wait to hear all about it! I know this is a food blog, but lots of us love to hear about babies too! I’m crossing my fingers for a G-I-R-L!!!!

15. Kristine Griffis says

And if it is a girl her name will most likely be “the girl”. Ha! That’s what my boys call their little sister. :)

16. Jennifer says

Congratulations! My 5th is one week old today. My 4th was a girl after three boys. She is a dream come true. The 4th grows up so fast trying to keep up with the other three so enjoy it! I have to tell you, though, adjusting to life with #5 is way easier than 1, 2, 3 or 4. The birth, on the other hand…well, it’s amazing how unique and unpredictable they all are.

17. marisa says

Couldn’t even tell ya on the sex! After 4 boys we were blessed with a girl. Boy she is a handful. Nothing like our boys lol! I have one on the spectrum and another with sensory issues so you would they were the handfuls lol!

Come on over to the wonderful capital of CA!!

18. Charlotte Allred says

Congratulations. I know the feeling of wanting a little bit of estrogen in the house. I am the only girl in my house. Do you have any plans for the Phoenix, AZ area for your book tour. I would love to meet you and thank you in person for teaching me how to use coupons effectively and making delicious low cost meals.

19. Stasia says

We have four girls (17, 16, and 14-year-old twins) and consider ourselves the luckiest parents… But trust me, there is a lot of hair combing, straightening and whatnot. Congrats on the new addition and rest when you can.

20. M says

Congratulations! Here’s wishing you a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby. I have twin 7 yo boys and have always wanted a girl, always thought I would have a girl. #3 on the way is another boy AND I am unexpectedly on bedrest again. Very disappointing. Yet another reminder that I am not in charge and don’t get to choose these things. All best to you. Are you still moving to TX? I was guessing that was the reason for your absence. Hope you are feeling better soon!

• says

:( to the bedrest…but it’s a short time and for a good cause :)

Yes, we are still planning on a move to TX…hoping to sell our house soon! And I’ll likely be absent again for a few weeks when the move happens!

Erin

21. Jamie says

What a gift! Praying for a safe, perfectly timed pregnancy for you and your family! We joke that our kiddos are named prior to conception because I love choosing names! We have Maeic, Finley, and now Lucy. If Lucy would have been a boy, she would have been ‘Saylor’, if Finley would have been a girl, ‘Story’.

We will continue to pray for you and your family as we see your emails in our inbox!

Would love for you to come to Portland or Salem, Oregon….and congratulations on your upcoming baby. That’s great and hope you get to feeling better soon. You are in my prayers! Take care!

23. Cheryl says

Congrats! Name? You won’t know until that day. We didn’t know our second twins until after she was born. The first one was picked before conception. Combo of Dad’s first name and my middle (Mikayla Marie) Second we chose Alexia Paige, which I felt was strong, but it was while in the hospital. Girls are not very likely with IVF but they were, lol. Seeing the child/baby almost gives you a feel for a name as well…Feel better. In Vero Beach Florida and would love for you to come here but every city is not possible I know~

Congratulations! Okay this idea may not work for you. It is just how both my daughter and I got our names. My mom grew up in a city called Victoria, so my name is Victoria. I grew up in a city called Courtenay so I named my daughter Courtney (I made it the traditional spelling to make it easier on everyone). We are now living in another town that is also a women’s name and have been here since my daughter was newborn and she is now 10 so she tells everyone she is going to name her daughter after our town to continue the tradition. It’s not like we move only to towns whose names are female names so we can keep this tradition happening its just worked out that way.

25. Carrie says

Congrats on the new little one… There’s a billion and a half names out there, what letters are you looking for? Classical names, modern, a little of all?

26. Summer From ECDR says

YAY! We have a girl first and then our 3 boys. Don’t worry a girl will certainly learn to “keep up” with those lovely boys and she will be surely loved and protected by them. Or another boy will keep you on your toes and mesh well with the family. What a blessing. What a blessing. We are praying for a great pregnancy and book tour. We are in Bossier City, LA now and I am introducing my friends to your great stuff. Keep it comin’!

Congrats! I did notice I hadn’t seen any updates from you lately. But you definately have a good reason! Take care of yourself and the baby. We’ll wait patiently for the next update from you.

28. Mary S says

Congratulations on your upcoming bundle of joy.Hoping the morning sickness goes away quickly and you are back to normal in no time.Boy or girl, a new baby is always a blessing.